• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Origin of Honey

Barrel Char Wood Products

yabodie

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Mar 17, 2006
I am not sure if this is critical for folks, but I ordered a 60# pail of honey from a US distributor over the net and was expecting to find US honey in the pail. No description was posted online about the honey except organic wildflower. I was some what shocked to find "product of Brazil and Mexico" printed on the label. So as a FYI if the origin of your honey is critical ask before you buy.

Angus

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Aug 19, 2005
Milwaukee, WI
The whole import/export of honey is very strange, particularly where Mexico is involved. A friend who works for Nestle in Mexico informed me that they only use honey imported from New Zealand in their manufacturing. Why would they do this when they are then exporting their own honey to other countries? ???

I bought some coffee blossom honey, wild flower honey, and a third type (don't know what flower it is) when I was down there last and it was all excellent. Cheap too. 2 litres cost me $6. That's 95 cents a pound (there's your honey for under $1/lb Oskaar).

Angus

yabodie

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Mar 17, 2006
I ordered it from Dutch Gold Honey.

*BEGIN RANT*
Honestly I did not have that good of an order experience with them. I initially ordered non organic wildflower, because it was listed as available per the website, but after a week of not receiving any notice about the order shipping, I called them up. After a few dropped calls, a run around, I came to find out that they did not have the regular wildflower in stock and my order was canceled, without notifying me. They said they had other varietals available, so I figured the next best thing would be the organic wildflower. They did ship it overnight and I got it the next day, bonus! I was just surprise to find the origin not of the US. I am sort of particular about local honey and I figured the source was in PA, but I guess not. So anyway if it is critical for you find out the origins of the honey call the supplier and don't completely trust the website...
*END RANT*

A wee review:
The honey does taste wonderful, rich caramel, deep amber in color and it has a wonderful smell.

On a lighter note because I had 60#s of honey I had to start a few more batches!!!

memento

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 3, 2005
www.flickr.com
That's who I ordered my orange blossom from. It arrived sooner than I expected. I'm not particular about it coming from a specific area, but I will check the label on the bucket to see what it says.

yabodie

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Mar 17, 2006
I think I will order from them again in the future, I just wish they would have notified me about the product status, etc.

And yes, the shipping was amazingly fast as well!!

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns