• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Cooking with mead- recipes please

Barrel Char Wood Products

Robusto

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Jun 12, 2011
NJ
Hi all. I bought a bottle of Redstone apricot mead that I bought that I don't like for drinking purposes. It seems high quality and well made, but I just don't like it. But, I'm thinking that it should be killer to cook with. So, I'm looking for recipes to cook using it. I'm thinking pork loin or baby back ribs, but am open to suggestions. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance

FTS

wayneb

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
I marinate meat with mead all the time - I will typically substitute mead in for the wine in any white wine marinade recipe, and I'll add about a 1/2 tsp lemon juice concentrate per cup of mead - it works really well on chicken, pork, and firm-flesh fish. Both chicken and pork do well with 4 hrs minimum exposure, in a sealed container placed in the fridge, and fish really only needs about 30 minutes exposure to the marinade.

Robusto

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Jun 12, 2011
NJ
Thanks Wayneb. I can totally see the mead replacing wine. It should also provide some nice acidity I would think.

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
I use my not so perfect wines and meads as the cooking liquid when I do pretty much anything in the slow cooker, I've also done one-pot wonders where I put the meat in the bottom of a roasting pan, pour a third of a bottle of wine over it, add some potatoes and veggies on top, sprinkle with spices, then cover and shove in the oven at 300F till the potatoes don't resist when knifed...then drink the other two thirds of the wine with the meal...

I've also used wines and meads in place of water in my cheapass teriyaki sauce recipe (1 cup water, 3 tbsp brown sugar, 1/4 cup soy sauce, 1 tsp each grated garlic and ginger, 1/4 tsp grated orange or lemon zest if you've got it, 1 tsp any kind of vinegar if you like a little more bite, cook till it boils, thicken with 2 tbsp corn starch in 1/4 cup cold water, serve over rice and veggies. This scales up nicely and I've put cooked leftover chicken, pork, sausages and beef in it successfully, also have poached fish in it (although I decrease the brown sugar a little) and have thawed frozen precooked meatballs in it.

Watkins86

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 21, 2012
That's my fav:
Cherry Mead

5 gallons cherry jucy juice (instead of water)
15lbs honey
2 packets lalvin 71-b
half a pound of cherrys - halved and pitted
2 table spoons of cinnamon

warm juice to about 100-120 degrees and stir in honey
let cool to room temp
add everything else
let sit 2-3 weeks and rack
over the next 3 weeks rack once a week

mike911

NewBee
Registered Member
May 21, 2006
1/2 cup semi dry persimmon mead
3 oz butter
1 clove garlic
4 oz fish filets, your choice
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup sliced almonds

Reduce mead in large skillet. Stir in butter and garlic. Cook until garlic softens. Season filets with salt and pepper. Turn up heat in skillet and add filets. Cook about 3 minutes, turn, add the almonds, and continue until filets flake easily with a fork.
(My thanks to Clement for the starting point on this recipe.)

I served this with rice pilaf and sauteed fresh green beans, along with a glass of the chilled persimmon mead.

MikeTheElder

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 18, 2013
Central Ohio,USA
Pork loin chops with apple Cyser glaze.

2 butterflied pork loin chops
1 pat butter
3/4 cup semi sweet apple Cyser
1 tsp Mrs Dash garlic herb

Brown chops in butter with Mrs Dash in a skillet on high heat.
Remove chops and deglaze skillet with Cyser
Replace chops,reduce heat and simmer until Cyser reduced by a bit more than half

Serve with glaze poured over chops.

Sugar snap peas and buttered new potatoes on the side.

Last edited:

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
Mike's sounds very nice! You could make a side dish for those chops by dicing apples and apricots and glazing them with a reduction of that mead.

GntlKnigt1

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Mar 17, 2004
Chicago area formerly Netherlands
Wow !!! This stuff sounds awesome !!! One of the things I might try.... being a single malt scotch drinker (expensive stuff !!) is that some people put a splash of water in it... They claim it makes it better. I have always had mine 'neat', but might try a splash of my Hertog Alex mead in my next glass..... IF I get up the courage to adulterate my scotch.

Last edited:

Noe Palacios

Aristaeus' Apprentice
GotMead Patron
I marinate meat with mead all the time - I will typically substitute mead in for the wine in any white wine marinade recipe, and I'll add about a 1/2 tsp lemon juice concentrate per cup of mead - it works really well on chicken, pork, and firm-flesh fish. Both chicken and pork do well with 4 hrs minimum exposure, in a sealed container placed in the fridge, and fish really only needs about 30 minutes exposure to the marinade.

Hi Wayneb!

What about steaks? I like fire my grill time to time. I have a red hibiscus mead, red tannings and oak are there too, and I'm planning to pair it soon with my favorite steak - Puyazo. Remember, my Maribio is dry and El Cardón semi-sweet, which one of them would marinate better this steak?

Saludes,

Jonnyroquette

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 22, 2019
I currently do a coc au vin blanc with a homebrewed meyer lemon mead at my restaurant. It's awesome. I use a straight out of the fermenter wine. I'd guess that if you use commercial mead or properly aged homebrew, you could make a bomb beurre blanc.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns