• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Foam blow out causes fermentation to stop?

Barrel Char Wood Products

bjswift

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 26, 2007
Hello all!

I had a batch of 4lb honey to 1 gallon total water, with fermaid and lalvin 1116 going, it was fermenting strong for about 3weeks, until it slowed down a great bit. The starting and ending gravity is 1.135, 1.03.
This is good news for me, because I thought it was a good time to add my strawberries, which I did, and that next morning I had a foam blow out!

I cleaned it up, and dumped a little bit of the now strawberry melomel out, and tasted it.. WOW it was great.

Anyhow, after getting home from work that day, it foamed out again, but not as bad as the first night. After cleaning it up, I just left it alone, but did notice it was VERY CLEAR! It had also stopped bubbling pretty much all together.

Could the foam blowouts have killed the yeast, thus, leaving me with a finished fermented product?

That all happened nearly a week ago, so tonight I decided to check gravity. Since it was still at 1.03, I racked onto K-Sorbate and K-Metabisulfite. Was this a good decision? Again, I am happy with the product, and want to bottle it to drink, and maybe age in bottle a couple of others.

After a few days of being in with that Sorbate and Meta, I'm going to just bottle it, and hopefully enjoy! However, should I be mad fermentation stopped, or is (from my calculations) 11-12% strawberry melomel be good? I'm of course looking for opinions, because I know it only matters to what I think it tastes like, and if I like it :)

Thanks!

youngmeadman

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 27, 2006
Regina, SK
I had a Christmas methaglyn using KIV-116 and according to my calculations (which I know are not very accurate, going to redo them when I open a bottle) it finished at about 10%. Using a Javascript Specs Calculator I found on the internet it says you have a 13.97% by vol. It could very well just be done! Can I have the exact recipe, I might want to try this one (you didn't mention how many strawberries). And how would you do it to prevent a blowout? Rack to a larger carboy with head space when adding the strawberries?

YoungMeadman

akueck

Certified Mead Mentor
Certified Mead Mentor
Jun 26, 2006
Ithaca, NY
The yeast should be living throughout the must/mead, so an explosion shouldn't wipe them all out. And if you like the results, that's all that matters. :icon_thumright: Congrats!

You should have about 14% ABV there and it is probably on the sweet side. K1V can go to 16-18% so it's not as far as it could go, but it's not a totally unreasonable place to stop where it is now. And to prevent explosions it is best to move it to a container with enough headspace to allow for some volcanos.

wildaho

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
May 22, 2007
McCall, ID
wildaho.blogspot.com
At 1.030, the only question you have to ask is: "Is this as sweet as I want it or is it too much?"

If you are happy with that level, cool! Personally, I prefer them drier where the other flavors actually have a chance to shine through. But that's just me. And Aaron has a great point here. A larger fermenter will give you the opportunity to ignore the "foam-over". A blow off tube is an even better option. You don't have to stop it with chemicals if you are using the proper sized fermenter.

Are you happy with the SG you stopped it at?

bjswift

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 26, 2007
Thanks for the replys. You mention that I probably have 14%abv.. Now, here is the calculation I use, but that is not the ABV, is it?
76.08 * (Starting - Final) / (1.775 - Starting)
So:
76.08 * (1.135 - 1.03) / (1.775 - 1.135) = 12.48

Anyhow, the amount of strawberries I used started at 2lbs, but I did not weigh them after removing the greens and cutting them into fourths, and eating a few, and tossing some others.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns