• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Number of ingredients??

Barrel Char Wood Products

Tea

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 18, 2008
I am wanting to start a couple of new meads, and my interest was piqued by the coffee and chocolate recipes that I have seen here. Then I wanted to do a red mead, but as blackberries and blueberries are so expensive for me I was thinking of alternatives that I could use.
Thought of maybe dates and prunes, (realise that this will probably be more brown then red), maybe some raisins and or cherries. Then I thought that I could use the date honey to flavour it more, and of course, coffee and chocolate go well with dates, and well then again maybe I could make something using all the above....????

So my question is, does it get to a point that less is best, when it comes to adding and mixing flavours. Even though all the above may go together, would be be best to stick to a couple of flavours, rather than using them all at once?

Any suggestion greatly welcome.

Yo momma

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 14, 2007
Flint, Michigan
I guess the obvious question is, what kind of flavor/color are you looking for?

If your undecided and have the mead bug, try a bunch of one gallon batches and when there done blend them for an idea of what to do next.

I personaly think that chocolate-coffee with a spritz of cherry flavor would be fabulous but couldn't tell you how much of each because I have never tested any. Personal preference is used then.

Leonora

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Mar 16, 2006
Loveland, CO
www.ildanachstudios.com
Less is generally more. If you really want to try a blend, put your ingredients in a jar and put some vodka and a touch of honey in it. Shake and let it sit for a couple of days. It will give you an idea if it will work.

My findings have been this: flavors added at primary become less "true" and more complex (wine does not taste like grapes). Flavors added at secondary and beyond are more clear flavor, but have less depth/complexity. Your plum mead tastes like plums. But if you add age into the mix, all bets are off. Magic happens in a closed corked bottle.

My suggestion would be to do a cherry/chocolate cordial with vodka and sugar if you want clear and crisp flavors. Fermentation changes flavors.

YMMV,
Leonora

Tea

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 18, 2008
Thankyou both of you. That has confirmed for me what I was thinking.
Looks like I need to stock up on some 1 gallon containers, and start playing. Thanks for the vodka idea too. Sounds like a quick way to test flavours.
Again many thanks.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns