• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

potential contamination?

Barrel Char Wood Products

DrunkenOrc

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 23, 2010
new mexico
well i have been experimenting with high gravity meads using the white labs "super high gravity" yeast. the first batch i did developed a red colored substance that apeared on the top of the must and in a line around the glass at the highest point reached but the bubbles. I first noticed this about 3 weeks after starting the fermentation and about a week after adding the last of my concentrate. (you have to ramp the sugar levels slowly during the first few weeks of fermentation to max the alcohol yield) i dumped the first batch assuming that it was contaminated at some point during the first few weeks with the constant messing with it i had to do. I started a new batch over the weekend and put the yeast and begginings of the honey in a carboy sunday. i added pasturized honey/water mix monday, checked it tuesday morning before going to work, and when i came home it had developed the same red substance. It looks like this substance may be a byproduct of the fermentation because it deffinatly seems to appear where there are alot of bubbles. Has anyone ever ran into this before? Is it something i need to worry about or is it just a part of the fermentation? I am an experianced mead maker and have never had trouble with contamination before. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!!
The Orc

wayneb

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Hey Orc! Welcome to "Gotmead?" !!

You should routinely when asking questions about a particular batch, post a summary of the ingredients (amounts as well as contents), process and measurements that you may have taken along the way. It helps us immensely in narrowing the possible range of answers.

That said, what you describe is not something that I've seen before, either. Can you shoot some digital pics of it and post them up so we can all see? That could help as well. I have also never used the White Labs super high grav yeast before but I have used several other strains that have been bred more for ethanol conversion capability than for flavorful results - and I've never seen anything like the red scum you're describing.

Can you grab a small sample of it and describe its smell (if any) and taste (if any) as well as what it looks like up close?

akueck

Certified Mead Mentor
Certified Mead Mentor
Jun 26, 2006
Ithaca, NY
Red? Wow that is odd.

If you can't snap a picture, could you describe the "redness" of the red? Bright red, brownish red, purple red? Does it cover the whole surface or just around the edge? What are you fermenting in? Solid red stuff or more like flecks of red in the foam?

STLBrewer

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 13, 2009
St. Louis, MO
Also, is the honey "raw" honey or some generic purchased at the store?

Raw honey often has "bee parts" and such in it which could, during fermentation with that (or any, I suppose) yeast, get suspended in the krausen and stick to the fermenter. Not only that, depending on the honey could (in my experience) make the krausen behave...and color...differently.

If you have noticed this in two straight batches using the same ingredients and yeast, then I would bet it is not anything to worry about.

Just my two cents...seen some odd stuff as a beer brewer and this doesn't sound that odd to me.

DrunkenOrc

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 23, 2010
new mexico
well i am going to try to get a picture but as i just added more concentrated must you cant really see the red stuff right now. its only appearing around the sides of the bottle and where there are groups of bubbles in the middle. its a fairly red red (for lack of a better description) its not a dark or bright red, its slightly brighter if anything. The last batch i tried was not raw honey(this one is) so i dont think it has anything to do with that.

Here is my "recipe"
6.5 cups honey
9.5 cups water
.75 tsp nutrient (added into starter)
1.75 tsp nutrient (in concentrate)
1 Lipton teabag (steeped in must for 10 min after it reached 170 degrees)
.25 tsp acid blend (in starter)
1 tsp acid blend (in concentrate)
i let the starter go untill it was activly applying pressure to the airlock then put it into the carboy and added some concentrate. I have added a similar amount of concentrate every evening since (about and inch in a gallon jug)

DrunkenOrc

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 23, 2010
new mexico
well i think i figured it out. i think that the red stuff is produced but sunlight. once the carboy is full it only forms on the window facing of the bottle, when the levels were lower it formed over the whole suface because it had more surface area exposed to light. this is mostly conjecture based on observation but i also think that with the first batch i may have had the blinds closed on the window for a week and then opened them around the time the red stuff appeared in that batch. comments?

akueck

Certified Mead Mentor
Certified Mead Mentor
Jun 26, 2006
Ithaca, NY
Red...light...algae? If so, Wikipedia says it is quite nutritious. :eek: Admittedly, this is a total shot in the dark. Any chance for a picture?

Incidentally, Irish moss is listed as a species of red algae. I thought it was seaweed? Different moss?

akueck

Certified Mead Mentor
Certified Mead Mentor
Jun 26, 2006
Ithaca, NY
Huh, good to know.

Also I looked up the stuff that makes your sink/shower pink: Serratia marcenscens. It's red, and lives all over the place. I have a hard time figuring that it would survive through sanitation and fermentation, but maybe it can. It apparently doesn't need much to survive.

DrunkenOrc

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 23, 2010
new mexico
ill try to get a good pic tomarrow when there is good light, i dont really think its a bacteria or anything living, it doesnt grow like an algae or mold would, it actually seems to be going away slowly now that i have the bottle filled and also its a south facing window so its starting to get less light. i would venture a guess that its a byproduct put off by the yeast (plant cells) when some sort of photosynthesis occurs, i know normally yeast doesnt photosyntesize but because this is a really high gravity yeast it may have been bred with normal plants to increase its cell strength. i have no real proof but it seems the mostly likely to me, pics tomarrow i hope

DrunkenOrc

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 23, 2010
new mexico
i use the same tea in all my meads (with different yeasts) and have never seen this before, i am thinking it is similar to photosynthesis, not actually photosynthesis. the only observations i have made on conditional changes relating to the changes in the red stuff are in relation to the amount of sunlight in the room and contacting the surface of the must.

AToE

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 8, 2009
Calgary AB Canada
I'm no biologist, but yeast crossing with a plant doesn't seem likely, considering that yeast isn't a plant, it's a fungus.

icedmetal

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 16, 2009
Everett WA
Question: isn't sunlight the enemy to the fermenting mead? I thought that keeping sunlight away from your meads both during and post fermentation was the recommended practice. Specifically, the UV causes oxidation and (for beers at least) can change the flavor of the product significantly.

wayneb

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Question: isn't sunlight the enemy to the fermenting mead? I thought that keeping sunlight away from your meads both during and post fermentation was the recommended practice. Specifically, the UV causes oxidation and (for beers at least) can change the flavor of the product significantly.

Yes, although mead is not subject to the transformation of a chemical found in hops to that contained in skunk musk (which gives rise to "skunking" of beer exposed to UV), other chemical changes are caused by UV, which can make for a mead that is "light struck." Not a good thing.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns