• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

mead tastes like medicine

Barrel Char Wood Products

frozenimage

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 19, 2010
Vermont
Hello all,

I have been lurking for a while. Great site, very helpful. I have read alot of advice on this site and used as much as I could for my first batch.

But something seems to have gone wrong and I was hoping for a little help. I brewed this batch of mead on 03/25/10.

7.5 lbs honey
1.5 gallons water
1 oz. Vanilla extract
2 split vanilla beans...I like vanilla!
2 cinnamon sticks
.5 tsp FerMax
lalvin Ec-1118 yeast pitched @ 70 degrees

OG = 1.135

Racked to 2 separate vessels on 04/05/10 - grav. = 1.087
Checked today and gravity was 1.045.

My issue is that the mead has a very strong medicine taste to it. When I racked it the taste was there, but not as strong. Is this something I should be worried about. I read some were that you shouldn't use vanilla extract because preservatives will give it an off flavor. I hope this is not the case as this is my first batch and wouldn't want have to toss it.
Any suggestions would be appreciated. If there is a way to save this mead I would be eternally grateful to know how.

Thank you
Jed

Kee

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 27, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Welcome to GotMead?!

My first and strongest suggestion is to give this mead 6-12 months. Actually, give it more like 2 years, but I know when you start that's a bit too impractical. This is a brand new mead. The taste isn't anything like it will be when its ready. Scents and flavors will come and go before they mingle. Be patient. :D

Medsen Fey

Fuselier since 2007
Premium Patron
Welcome to GotMead Frozenimage!

In addition to what Kee said, keep in mind your batch may not be finished fermenting yet either. You started at a high gravity with very little nutrient, so it may keep plugging away very slowly for several more weeks. If the gravity drops slowly, it is still going.

High gravity meads in general take more time to mellow and become drinkable, and with lots of spices that is even more true. A lot of funky odors and flavors develop during fermentation (and afterward) that clear with time. You probably won't be able to judge this one fairly before 1 year.

Medsen

frozenimage

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 19, 2010
Vermont
when to bottle

So, I should let this finish fermenting (it never had a vigorous ferment). Then should I leave it in the jugs, or should I bottle it and let it sit for the remainder of the time.

P.S. Thank you for the responses. I already feel better.

AToE

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 8, 2009
Calgary AB Canada
Leave it in the jugs with airlocks for as long as you can, especially if you don't plan on adding stabilizing chemicals. That way you can safely keep an eye on their SG readings over the course of many months so that you can be more sure that it won't start fermenting again and shatter the bottles. Also, you're going to need to rack it a few times for it to get nice and clear before bottling.

frozenimage

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 19, 2010
Vermont
patience

I will learn more patience.....:( I will leave it in the jugs, minus racking, for the next six months. Then I will bottle after I know it is done fermenting.
In the interim I will make more beer, and more mead.

Thank you all.
Jed

Kee

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 27, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Frozenimage, if you have the equipment and money, make another batch. Go with a quick fermenting recipe like the JAO. There are a few here. They make the waiting for the longer-term meads more tolerable!

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns