• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

I'm in mourning for new batches of mead

Barrel Char Wood Products

tatgeer

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 18, 2008
NM
There's a cross-country move in my future, possibly as early as mid-August, possibly as late as early October.

I've imposed a moratorium on starting more mead, and it's making me sad. Perhaps a batch or two of beer will scratch the itch.

I've thought about making some more JAO, but I'm also starting to think about the many full bottles I'll need to transport. There are several local friends who have volunteered to take some off my hands, but a lot of it has been aging long enough that it's getting to be really good, and I hate to leave so many pricey EZ-caps behind. Maybe it's time for a party!

Bulk aging:
2 1gallon batches of JAO
1 gallon of cider
1 gallon of fennel mead
1 gallon of royal methaglin
5 gallons of mesquite mead
5 gallons of ginger mead (will get peach extract at bottling)
5 gallons of peach-ginger mead (will get more peach extract at bottling)

1 gallon of JAO and the cider are nearly ready to bottle, which means I will have 2 empty jugs staring longingly at me. Or, more accurately, I'll be staring longingly at them... I figured if anyone would understand my sorrow, it's you folks!

Jord

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 30, 2009
Bowmanville, Ontario
I'm beginning to understand this myself. I just racked a cyser out of primary last night and now that the bucket's empty all I can think about is filling it with a braggot....I feel for you.

wayneb

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
There's only one thing worse. That's knowing you have all the supplies, all the equipment, and all the desire to get three batches going in parallel -- all at home, while you're on a field assignment nearly 800 miles away, which will have you gone for nearly the whole summer.... :crybaby2:

jayich

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 27, 2009
Anchorage, AK
Mead Obession

I'm glad to know there are a lot more people like myself who are also obsessed with mead making. I'll be traveling the next three weeks and I couldn't start another melomel(the way I wanted) with the 58# of raspberry and OB honey I have on hand, so I started a batch of mead in primary using K1V(cool fermenter) and I will slow ferment it at 54F, and hopefully in 3 weeks it will be ready to receive a ton of berries in secondary when I get back!
Steve

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
I totally understand, I've got a freezer full of fruit that needs desparately to be fermented, we're coming onto harvest time for more, and I don't want to start new batches now because it'll be that much more to carry downstairs when I get the basement winery organized... getting twitchy... too many empty 3-gal carboys!! AAAAHHHH!!!

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns