• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Paper for school

Barrel Char Wood Products

TDMooney

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 2, 2011
Elkridge, Maryland
So I have to write a paper for class on any topic that I want, I decided to do "Why Homebrewing is becoming more popular in today's households"

My thesis (and I'm still working on it):

For many American's homebrewing provides a way to enjoy craft alcohol in an economical and community based enviroment.

Outline of paper:

Intro:
-Talk about prohibition
-When homebrewing was legalized
-Brief history of homebrewing and the restrictions/laws
-Thesis

Par. 1: Economical
-Avoid high taxes
-Less expensive
-Eliminate middle man

Par. 2: Community
- LHBS, clubs
-National and local organizations
-competitions and prizes
-Internet and forums

Par. 3: Support
-Support small business and local business
-craft meaderys and brewerys

Par. 4: Freedom
-creativity/flexibility with ingredients
-many different types and vareties
-craft brewing

Conclusion:
-homebrewing in the future/the direction its going
-Increase in craft brewerys in the U.S
-Restate thesis

If you have any suggestions or advice please let me know.

mccann51

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Nov 8, 2010
Southwestern USA
I would add something of the Freedom section to the thesis; people brewing what they want to drink is a huge reason many brew in the first place.

You should also include a sample of your homebrew with the paper...

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
How about the localvore aspect? What got me into this in the first place was finding something to do with all the local fruit I had access to... And also, you can't just go out and buy any of the stuff I make, red currant or wild grape wines just aren't something commercially available... (although I guess that goes along with mccann's "freedom" section)

triarchy

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 28, 2010
WI
This might be more of a "why I brew" thing, but maybe close enough to what you are looking for. Id strongly second Chevette Girls locavore comment, its a big part of my life here. I either pick wild or grow all of what I use for my melomels or metheglins (as well as cooking, canning, etc). It gives me a lot of satisfaction to know that I did almost every aspect of making my mead entirely by myself.

I also get the same feeling I get from cooking, following a recipe or just thinking up something and having it turn out good. When I can make others appreciate what I have made, something greater than the sum of its parts, it is special to me. I guess its pride.

Also, there is a uniqueness to making your own things. Its special because you cant buy it anywhere. At least not around here. I dont see many huckleberry or chokecherry meads in the stores ;)

MrMooCow

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Nov 11, 2008
Woodridge, IL
You might also look at national variants to the laws. Example: Utah actually only recently leglized home wine making. Last year I think. Home brewing had been legal for longer, though I think they were still running behind the rest of the country.

Tannin Boy

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 6, 2010
Webster, NY
Par. 4: Freedom
-creativity/flexibility with ingredients

If I may suggest that you elaborate a bit on the possible use
of pure / organic ingredients and it's effects on your health.
The other area would be the addition of your ability to control
the level's of sulfites and other chemical additions which will also
benefit ones health as well.

TB

MrMooCow

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Nov 11, 2008
Woodridge, IL
Another thing you might consider looking at is if there is any connection to State Liquor/Wine/Beer Sales Laws and homebrewing. Some States have fairly open sales laws, while others have extremely restrictive.

Illinois allows independent stores, so not only is there a liquor store on every corner, but good help tends not to be hard to find. Walk into Binny's, go to the service desk, give them your dinner menu and budget, and they'll spend 30 minutes with you talking about food pairings and such.

Utah has only State run stores. Their employees are generally no better educated about the products then your local gas station attendant. Looking for something really interesting and unique? Even if they have it, the employees won't be of any help in finding it.

Why do I bring this up? There aren't a lot of homebrew stores in the Chicago area (as far as I know). The two closest to me are about 20-30 minutes away (and they both aren't terribly impressive). When I was considering moving out to Utah, a quick search turned up 2 within 10 minutes of my parents house. Now, obviously that may be pure coincidence. Could be those are the only two in the SLC/Ogden area. Still, might be worth looking into.

TDMooney

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 2, 2011
Elkridge, Maryland
these will definetly help suport my thesis more, as in todays society it seems that people are more and more concerned about being healthy and what they put into their bodies, making your own craft alcohols allows you to know whats going into your product like fresh and organic ingredients and enables you to create a healthier product

as for the laws i'm definetly interested in looking into the relationship between the amount of homebrewing and involvment and how harsh the laws are in that state i may make this a little broader because this could be its own paper by itself

MrMooCow

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Nov 11, 2008
Woodridge, IL
Oh yeah, you've got a whole host of interesting ideas to explore here. To give them all justice you'd be hard pressed to bring the paper in under 30 pages. ;D

Although, to be something of a Devil's Advocate, I don't see anywhere in your outline where you actually prove your inital claim: That homebrewing is becoming more popular.

Remember, just saying that sales are up compared to 20 years ago doesn't mean jack. You need to adjust for both population increase, inflation and relative economic activity.

IE, if you found that between the 90's and today there was no increase in per capita spending, then you could still argue that it's become more popular. Given the current economic down turn, you'd expect spending to have decreased, as it has in most other sectors.

Which brings up another topic that would be worth exploring: Has there been any change in the kinds of people who are doing home brewing? Is it more popular across the socio economic spectrum? Is one "class" increasing more then others?

This is why I want to be a millionaire, so I can fund studies to answer these questions..... ;)

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
Hehe, and a final bit of advice? Consider everything, but do draw lines somewhere on your outline and focus in depth on the things you do focus on, so you don't end up with 50 pages when the professor asked for 10 :) I know how these things can get out of hand... And I do agree with MrMooCow, if you can find some sadistics -er, I mean statistics, that support your thesis it'd be a great addition to your intro...

Wow, I almost miss writing essays and papers.

Almost.

;D

mmclean

Honey Master
Registered Member
Jul 22, 2010
Tennessee Valley
You might also look at national variants to the laws. Example: Utah actually only recently leglized home wine making. Last year I think. Home brewing had been legal for longer, though I think they were still running behind the rest of the country.

All homebrewing is still illegal in Alabama.

tweak'e

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 31, 2011
NewZealand
why not compare to other countries.
eg NewZealand you can brew anything you like, you just can't sell it without a license and paying the taxes.
kinda weird that such a "free" country like USA has such tight restrictions.

mmclean

Honey Master
Registered Member
Jul 22, 2010
Tennessee Valley
why not compare to other countries.
eg NewZealand you can brew anything you like, you just can't sell it without a license and paying the taxes.
kinda weird that such a "free" country like USA has such tight restrictions.

Yes, very weird indeed. :glasses7::glasses6:

Berliner

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 26, 2011
Guess
Actually, I think on-paper economic activity related to homebrewing wouldn't ever be the best measure, since homebrewers are by nature (if not by definition) a very do-it-yourself bunch. If you use a plastic bucket for your fermenter and bread or wild yeast, you might not show up anywhere as part of a distinctly homebrewer economy at all. (That's something you may want to mention in your paper: it's hard to say precisely how many people home brew because so much of it's outside the formal economy. But, here are figures from homebrewing organizations and so forth).

Also, tweak'e, if you think homebrewing laws in the US are strict, you'd be surprised about Germany. Home beer brewers can make up to 200L per year, but they still have to register with the local tax office in case officials want to inspect their operations! Wine and mead are different, because there's no production tax on wine, just the VAT and that only applies if you're going to sell the results. Despite the enormous popularity of beer, there's not really very much interest in making it at home.

capoeirista13

Honey Master
Registered Member
Aug 17, 2008
Philadelphia
Glad to see someone else using this forum as a resource for a school paper on brewing! I did this for two papers myself a while ago. Mind posting your paper when it's done?

TDMooney

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 2, 2011
Elkridge, Maryland
yeah I will post the paper, may be a little while since im still researching. Alot of useful information and knowledgable people on the forum to throw ideas around with.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns