• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Bulk honey jugs

Barrel Char Wood Products

kyger

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 20, 2011
Selah, Washington
Any thoughts on bulk honey for a mead base? I came across a few recently purchased unopened pales of honey purchased from:

http://beprepared.com/product.asp?pn=FS H100

I can get some fairly cheap as the seller decided to move and doesnt want to pack them around. It says it is of alfalfa and clover varietal. Would it be worth it to use this as a base honey and backsweeten with "better" or specific varietal honey's? I am getting the buckets at about 1/3 price.

Guinlilly

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 17, 2011
Seaford, DE
Check the source (hopefully printed on the bucket) and see if it is from North America, or see if they are willing to pop the top off of one and let you taste it.

I don't know about the SuperPail honey but the Dutch Gold Honey is wonderful. Use a lot of their honey for mead.

Loadnabox

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 17, 2011
Ohio
alfalfa is a pretty strong honey if i recall, like buckwheat, but clover is always good :)

(Someone will correct me if I'm wrong)

mmclean

Honey Master
Registered Member
Jul 22, 2010
Tennessee Valley
alfalfa is a pretty strong honey if i recall, like buckwheat, but clover is always good :)

(Someone will correct me if I'm wrong)

From their website:

Alfalfa Honey is a very mild, delicate honey. Perfect for sweetening beverages, drizzling over your vanilla ice cream, or making Luella Gamber's delicious Pumpkin Pie recipe.

kyger

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 20, 2011
Selah, Washington
So I went ahead and got this jug from the neighbor for $50. It is super sweet and buttery. It actually taste like a buttered biscuit with honey drizzled on it. It is crystalized so I filled 8 one quart jars and set them in warm water and stirred them until liquid again. Back to the point, it tastes and smells amazing and with a little sweat equity its pretty good honey.

Vance G

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 30, 2011
Great Falls Montana
It is not nice to gloat kyger and I am down to about 25 gallons myself. Alfalfa is lighter in color than clover and has less pollen taste. Just screw the cover on the jars you are filling tightly and put them in the dishwasher. You will reliquify more easily and will not have the danger of overheating and losing the good stuff. Better yet, just pack it tight and add to your must as is. Unless it is sugared and has a separated liquid standing on top, nothing can live in it.

fatbloke

good egg/snappy dresser.....
GotMead Patron
-----%<-----
Just screw the cover on the jars you are filling tightly and put them in the dishwasher. You will reliquify more easily and will not have the danger of overheating and losing the good stuff. Better yet, just pack it tight and add to your must as is. Unless it is sugared and has a separated liquid standing on top, nothing can live in it.
Why go the some length to reliquify ?

So presuming that you want a must that is properly mixed and aerated well....

Just scoop/spoon it out the container and then put it through a liquidiser or food processor with some of the water you intend using, blitz the hell out of it, and it can be added to the fermenter, nicely mixed and all the aeration needed for a good ferment start.....

p.s. Oh and just run some more of the water through the machine, as that will also rinse it out and the "waste water washings" can be added to the ferment.

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
"Liquidizer" is British for blender, it will work on honey as well as it works on margaritas :)

The only reason I re-liquify honey is if I want to eat it...

I just scrape the jars out into the fermenter with a sanitized spoon and rinse the jar with hot water, shake the hell out of it and dump the water in then mix like hell until I can't see grains of honey sugar on the spoon, it'll eventually all dissolve.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns