• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Got a Got Mead t-shirt for xmas

Barrel Char Wood Products

akueck

Certified Mead Mentor
Certified Mead Mentor
Jun 26, 2006
Ithaca, NY
No shirts for me this year, though I did get my dad an Inca Kola shirt. [The scarf from Ecuador is for my mom.]

Inca Kola is the weird soda that is all over Peru. It's yellow and tastes a bit like bubble gum. And kind of terrible.
DSCN2033.JPG

Soyala_Amaya

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 21, 2011
Missouri
I got something called a cap steamer (?) that I'm not sure what it does yet, two mini kegs (and no 80 dollar tap to use them with), and a lees stirrer (when my sisters still have my power drill). Lol, it was the Christmas of awesome, yet fail.

Besides mead stuff I also got some neat hedgehog merch, and a viking throwing axe!

Loadnabox

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 17, 2011
Ohio
No mead supplies for me, my Dad has been very generous as always so I expect to buy a couple of better bottles and a larger bucket to support my new beer hobby

maybe another beer kit too, recommendations are welcomed, my wife and I -L-O-V-E-D- the leinenkugels summer wheat wish I could recreate it if anyone knows something similar or how to make it :)

Plus I have around 8 gallons of JAO at home that are about 3 months old. If it isn't clear yet I'll sparkalloid it and get it moving 'cause I'm all out after giving it all away! Then I can drink some to boot!

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
I asked for honey but apparently nobody could find an apiary better than the one I already use. My brother in law couldn't get his hands on a copy of the Compleat Meadmaker for me so I'm going to track it down myself with Xmas money.

My hubby got me a Gordon Ramsay cook book (we like watching Kitchen Nightmares, I love the photo of Chef Ramsay with a lobster in his pocket) and I got him a lighted magnifier for painting miniatures... I suppose that's somewhat more normal than the swords one year and the throwing axes the next year... and my mother in law found me Alice Cooper's new CD. And my bro in-law found me some Chevette parts ;D

But best of all was engaging in a family-wide snowball fight with my hubby (not normally given to such silliness) and 12 of my in-laws on a frozen lake. Awesome. We were all exhausted and soaked to the skin... Second best was not dying in a head-on collision on the way up to Sudbury.

Soyala_Amaya

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 21, 2011
Missouri
I figured out what the steamer thing is for! It's packaged as a foil cap steamer (pretty little foil things you put over your cork or cap to make the bottle look better for giving away) but my LHBS marketed it as a carboy drier!

And it works REALLY well! The tiltled nobs where I guess you put the tops of the bottle for putting foil caps on holds an upside down carboy tightly! No more putting them upside down in boxes to dry!

@ Chevette...I see nothing wrong with swords, throwing axes, and spears for Christmas! Weapons and booze supplies...my family is secure in redneck status for another year;D

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
Just got my copy of Compleat Meadmaker! (the person who I asked it for couldn't get it in time so I bought it with Xmas money)

Guinlilly

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 17, 2011
Seaford, DE
My favorite gifts this year were hand made by my brother: niddy-noddy and drop spindle!

Jealous of the drop spindle! I need to get off my butt and make my own one of these days. Jon got me the engagement ring and a new dremel with the flex shaft for my drinking horn carving. ;D

Soyala_Amaya

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 21, 2011
Missouri
I have a friend who made a drop spindle out of a small screw hook (like one of these only small http://ironmongery-solutions.co.uk/Backoffice/Photos/Screw-Hook.jpg), a dowel rod the size of the whole inside of dvds, two blank dvds, and a large nut.

She screwed the hook into one end of the dowel, glued the two dvds together and put them on the other end, and screwed the nut onto the dowel on the bottom under the dvds. It worked really well and was about 5 bucks of material!

TheAlchemist

I am Meadlemania
GotMead Patron
Sep 9, 2010
near a lake
I have a friend who made a drop spindle out of a small screw hook (like one of these only small http://ironmongery-solutions.co.uk/Backoffice/Photos/Screw-Hook.jpg), a dowel rod the size of the whole inside of dvds, two blank dvds, and a large nut.

She screwed the hook into one end of the dowel, glued the two dvds together and put them on the other end, and screwed the nut onto the dowel on the bottom under the dvds. It worked really well and was about 5 bucks of material!

My forst drop spindle is one of these and it works very well, nice balance, I do about half of my spinning on it...next up, a spinning wheel...

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
I remember how to use a spinning wheel but I need to learn how to use a drop spindle, I've started saving bunny fur from Spot's sheddings, I figure in another year or two I'll be able to crochet myself a new bunny. One that doesn't nip me or dig up my clothes when she's not being patted precisely how she wants to be ;D

TheAlchemist

I am Meadlemania
GotMead Patron
Sep 9, 2010
near a lake
I'm not so sure using bunny fur is a great idea (unless your bunny is angora), people who have experimented with dog say it always smells like dog no matter what you do. Using a drop spindle is pretty easy and making one with 2 CDs and a dowel is pretty easy too...

Soyala_Amaya

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 21, 2011
Missouri
Well, a drop spindle can BECOME easy, lol. I am much better with a wheel thank you! The last time I tried a drop spindle I could NOT get the proper rythym down and basically wound up making lumpy thread, way too thin to be yarn!

However, I can attest that the cd drop spindle is easily portable, cheap to make, and works even better than some 'overly fancy' machine made spindles. Some people seem to think that spindles are supposed to be works of art, and can seriously throw off the weight with carvings or making it about a pound of wood! Really, who could actually use something that heavy? What's the point of making something that looks like a tool, make it completely useless, and sell it as decoration?

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
What's the point of making something that looks like a tool, make it completely useless, and sell it as decoration?

I've seen more spinning wheels that were placed somewhere as art than I've seen in use <shrug>

Spot's not angora but she's got pretty soft fur (finer than car hair) and she doesn't smell unless she's being disgusting and sleeping in her pee corner (which she does once or twice a year) so I'd imagine anything made with her fuzz wouldn't smell. Dog hair is often more coarse so it would depend on the dog whether you could do it at all, and I keep joking about crocheting myself a new pony every time mine sheds out but I never would because it's coars enough that it would be scratchy as all hell and I know it would always smell like the barn so I'd be forever allergic to it...

Guinlilly

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 17, 2011
Seaford, DE
I've seen more spinning wheels that were placed somewhere as art than I've seen in use <shrug>

Spot's not angora but she's got pretty soft fur (finer than car hair) and she doesn't smell unless she's being disgusting and sleeping in her pee corner (which she does once or twice a year) so I'd imagine anything made with her fuzz wouldn't smell. Dog hair is often more coarse so it would depend on the dog whether you could do it at all, and I keep joking about crocheting myself a new pony every time mine sheds out but I never would because it's coars enough that it would be scratchy as all hell and I know it would always smell like the barn so I'd be forever allergic to it...

Ah! But you could sell the horse hairshirts to the Carthusians and Carmelites! ;D

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns