PDA

View Full Version : Hey hey hey

Tsombais
01-05-2012, 10:05 AM
Hello there. Mead is cool. I thought I'd try it out. First batch seemed to be doing okay. Well, until I topped it up with tonic water accidentally. Woops. Ahh, the delicious taste of quinine. My mead's now malaria-proof which is a bonus I suppose. Apologies for the ridiculous name...I'm pretty crappy at coming up with online names. Also, this site has a cornucopia of delicious information that I've benefited from. Thanks for that! I'll be sharing more disastrous stories of how my first few batches go so stay tuned in.

Boogaloo
01-05-2012, 10:25 AM
WELCOME TO GOTMEAD!!

I'm a newb too... this site is awesome and I'm on my 8th batch since Sept. You're definitely in the right place to learn the craft. Everyone is friendly and extremely helpful.

Love this site.

(Oh... and I didn't know that about Tonic Water. Pretty cool.)

jlerner
01-05-2012, 11:55 AM
Welcome Tsombais!

Your quinine mead may turn out to be very interesting - other members have been pleasantly surprised by the accidental addition of "non-traditional" ingredients. (ferret mead (http://www.gotmead.com/forum/showthread.php?p=124943&highlight=ferret#post124943) comes to mind here)

Can the yeast survive in quinine...? Please keep us in the loop and let us know how it goes. If nothing else, you might be able to use this batch for cooking.

PS - I was exposed to malaria during a military jaunt to Honduras in the 90's...I am delighted to know that mead may now be consumed for medicinal purposes!

Tsombais
01-05-2012, 12:16 PM
Welcome Tsombais!

Your quinine mead may turn out to be very interesting - other members have been pleasantly surprised by the accidental addition of "non-traditional" ingredients. (ferret mead (http://www.gotmead.com/forum/showthread.php?p=124943&highlight=ferret#post124943) comes to mind here)

Can the yeast survive in quinine...? Please keep us in the loop and let us know how it goes. If nothing else, you might be able to use this batch for cooking.

PS - I was exposed to malaria during a military jaunt to Honduras in the 90's...I am delighted to know that mead may now be consumed for medicinal purposes!

I had already stabilised the mead with sorbate/sulphite so I couldn't tell if the yeast would survive the quinine...interesting thought though, I wouldn't see why not. What does mead go well with food-wise? Sounds really interesting :P

Only my mead though! (supposedly quinine was used to treat/deter malaria? Just something I read haha). I suppose time will tell if this tonic mead ages well ;D

jlerner
01-05-2012, 12:34 PM
What does mead go well with food-wise? Sounds really interesting :P

In a sweet mead, the honey provides a nice counterpoint to hot/spicey dishes (think Thai or Indian). Since your brew contains a bitter component (quinine), you might try pairing it with something sweet.

Tsombais
01-05-2012, 03:10 PM
Hmm, sounds interesting. I'll give the mead a bit of a chance before I sacrifice it for the sake of experimental cooking though! (I'm already pretty terrible at cooking, especially things like curries).

Penguinetti
01-10-2012, 03:25 PM
Hey,

Yea, it seems like everywhere I read, one's resultant mead will either be:
A) great for drinking, or
B) great for cooking.

There is never a "bad" mead, I guess, lol.

Loadnabox
01-10-2012, 03:33 PM
There is never a "bad" mead, I guess, lol.

Give my loaded brew a try, it may change your mind :P

Here's hoping age or mixing might fix that :P

Penguinetti
01-10-2012, 03:42 PM
Give my loaded brew a try, it may change your mind :P

I would LOVE to give your brew a try, lol.

Do you have a blog goin for it? I'm going to check now. How old is it? Maybe all it needs is more time.

A buddy of mine on homebrewtalk told me he read about a beer that came out awful, but instead of throwing it out, the guy just saved it. Two years or so went buy and it ended up being great after time. Not sure why.

Loadnabox
01-10-2012, 04:26 PM
I would LOVE to give your brew a try, lol.

Do you have a blog goin for it? I'm going to check now. How old is it? Maybe all it needs is more time.

A buddy of mine on homebrewtalk told me he read about a beer that came out awful, but instead of throwing it out, the guy just saved it. Two years or so went buy and it ended up being great after time. Not sure why.

Age helps mellow most anything that's harsh (SO2 being an exception) including tannins, acid, pith, and higher alcohols.

My loaded brew has a brewlog on here, search the forums and you should be able to find it.

The very high ABV doesn't help it (17.5%) and the amount of coffee I added has made it taste like a stale pot of bad coffee. The two together make it taste like cheap coffee spiked with vodka.

No one has enjoyed it's taste yet

jlerner
01-10-2012, 04:30 PM

Amen. I have one in the shed that could pass for weapons grade vodka.

Chevette Girl
01-10-2012, 04:32 PM
The very high ABV doesn't help it (17.5%) and the amount of coffee I added has made it taste like a stale pot of bad coffee. The two together make it taste like cheap coffee spiked with vodka.

Vanilla ice cream float?

Loadnabox
01-10-2012, 04:50 PM
Vanilla ice cream float?

With a LOT of ice cream maybe... I have to dilute pretty heavily with milk to make something passable as a black russian.

I was thinking of combining the Loaded brew with my Mallow Out, (should dilute the coffee taste considerably while only marginally lowering the ABV) Then back sweetening to a pretty sweet level (1.030 or so) and then trying it in cream or with ice cream.

All that together might find a use for it.