• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

New guy, JAOM question

Barrel Char Wood Products

056r

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 26, 2011
Firstly awesome site, lots of great info and good folks it seems. Just threw together a batch of JAOM but made a slight mistake. I added an entire package of fleishmanns instead of only a teaspoon. What can i expect to be the result of this? Will it be overly yeasty when its done, or will it not matter too much? Also, when you top it up with water do you gently shake to mix it or just pour the water in and leave it alone? It seems to be trucking along nicely at the moment and I cant wait for 2 months to be up lol.

Dan McFeeley

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Oct 10, 2003
Illinois
The beauty of a JOA is that there is a lattitude for changes -- just so long as you don't break the warranty. ;D It's basically a country wine style recipe, the type made by generations upon generations in kitchens and basements. Think crock pot with a plate over the top, held in place with dried beans, functioning as an airlock.

I use Fleischmann's in a bulk jar, but the label tells me that 2 1/4 teaspoons is equal to 1 envelope. I think you're ok here.

I wouldn't worry too much about stirring in added water. The movement of the air bubbles through fermentation should provide a gentle stir.

--

056r

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 26, 2011
Thanks for the info Dan, also this is a regular 1 gallon batch.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns