PDA

View Full Version : Mead and Wine in San Diego

Midnight Sun
03-10-2012, 06:12 PM
I'll be going on vacation to San Diego in May, any one know of good meaderies or wineries to visit? Also, any sights that should not be missed?

YogiBearMead726
03-10-2012, 08:22 PM
I'll be going on vacation to San Diego in May, any one know of good meaderies or wineries to visit? Also, any sights that should not be missed?

Having lived there most of my life, I can safetly say there are not really any wineries outside of Temecula which is in East County (a bit of a drive, but worth it if you can go). As for meaderies, I only know of Oceanside Mead Works (I think that's the name...) and I'm not even sure if they are open to the public (they weren't when I moved to S.F. back in August).

As far as sights not to be missed...Torrey Pines is a pretty nice area (beaches included). And a funky little town called Leucadia is pretty nice for walking around/spending a day in. Lots of boutique shops and a very laid back vibe. Both of these towns are in North County.

There is plenty to do downtown as well, like bars, concerts, good food. Your best bet downtown is in an area called The Gaslamp. It's near Petco Park (aka Padres stadium), and has a great selection of restaurants. There is also the U.S.S. Midway, which is pretty cool, if you like naval stuff. Balboa Park is also a wonderful place to spend a day, full of museums and botanical gardens. And of course Sea World, if you have young ones. I also highly recommend checking out either the San Diego Zoo (which is near/in Balboa Park) or the Wild Animal Park (which is in North/East County) both of which can easily turn into whole day excursions. If you have time, check them both out!

All in all, San Diego is nice, but be prepared to drive a lot...afterall, the county is almost bigger than Connecticut. :)

robin850
03-10-2012, 09:33 PM
http://www.sdblogconference.com/1331/san-diego-dining/three-san-diego-restaurants-featured-on-man-vs-food/

Midnight Sun
03-10-2012, 10:38 PM
Thanks Yogi! My wife and I love to wander around small towns, so Leucadia sounds like a lot of fun. Took a look at the USS Midway, that looks like fun too.

We had planned for a day at the San Diego Zoo and another at the Wild Animal Park. There is a discount if you buy tickets to both, so why not?

Thank you for the video robin. We'll have to check those places out.

John E.
03-10-2012, 10:42 PM
Try Golden Coast Mead they are in the area, you can got to www.goldencoastmead.com and see what they have and do.

YogiBearMead726
03-10-2012, 10:47 PM
No problem! It took me awhile to think of stuff to do, since living there, most of it gets old fast. Still lots of fun though.

And I do highly recommend planning a trip to Temecula wine country. Most of the wineries are very close to each other. Plus, they have a website that gives you suggested places to visit based on your tastes (like wineries good for big reds, ones which are more eclectic, etc). I was surprised there were so many good wineries out there. I'd steer clear of the big, commercial types...the small estate ones were much better IMHO. But as always, your tastes may vary. :)

Midnight Sun
03-11-2012, 09:58 PM
John, that sounds like a fun little operation those guys have. I'll send them an email and find out if they give tours.

Yogi, I know what you mean. I've lived in Anchorage most of my life and fun stuff to do can be a tough question. I love the small little wineries and meaderies. I've seen enough of the big operations, although it was interesting to seem production on a very large scale. My wife just did a search for yarn stores in Temecula (they have 3-4), looks like we're going!