• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Did I ruin my mean?

Barrel Char Wood Products

Prophet Mykola

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 24, 2012
Hey there,

I think I have just destroyed my whole batch of mead. Any advise on what I can do with it?

The recipe:
1700 g of Heather Honey
tap water (cold) to 5 litres
1/4 tsp tronozymol

edit: +1 packet of Gervin GV3 yeast

stand 24 hours, then added
1/4 tsp tartaric acid
2 tsp grape tannin (this is where I screwed up)
1/4 tsp tronozymol

stand 24 hours, then added
1/4 tsp tronozymol

I will add another 1/4 tsp tronozymol in a week time.

My concern is addind 2 tea spoons of tannin, which should have been good for 10 gallons, to just a little over 1 gallon. Does it mean the mead is lost?

Should I bother adding gelatine and aging or I am way beyond a point of no return?

Last edited:

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
Welcome to the forum!

I'm guessing there was yeast in there somewhere too?

Well, if you overdosed the tannin, it might be a bit pucker-worthy... have you tasted it?

The good news is that it's probably not ruined, tannin and its associated bitterness does eventually age out (sometimes it takes a long time, I've got one batch going on something like 7 years now), and backsweetening it might also help with it. I'm not sure if the gelatine will help or hinder it dropping out.

So, did you get any specific gravity readings? Unless it's a really slow fermentation you might not want to use any more tronozymol next week, depending how well your fermentation's gone, it may be too late to be of much benefit to your yeast.

(I'm guessing you're somewhere in Europe if you're using metric units and tronozymol?)

Prophet Mykola

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 24, 2012
Thanks for a reply. I am from the UK indeed.

It's the first time I decided to use powdered tannin, and didn't calculate the proportions properly. It tastes OK, well, at least it's not terribly disgusting. I think I will bottle it in the end skipping the oak (I have plenty of tannins don't I) and put it in my cellar until some distant future.

Duh, I completely forgot to mention yeast. It's Gervin gv3. Not my usual yeast, but it is working perfectly so far. Fermentation is very active and looks healthy.

OG was 1.100

Last edited:

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
Ok. Generally you'd want to stop aerating and adding nutrients/energizer by the time the yeast have eaten 1/3 to 1/2 of the available sugars, which would be 1.066-1.050 in your case, so it's not a bad idea to keep an eye on your SG as things progress.

If it doesn't taste bad now, then it'll probably be fine after some age and/or backsweetning, and avoiding the oak is probably for the best! :)

Medsen Fey

Fuselier since 2007
Premium Patron
You can also help remove excess tannin by fining with egg white if you find the tannin is too much once it clears. The added tannin should speed the clearing by binding with proteins and yeast cells. If it is too "puckering" once it is clear, you can either try fining, or blending with another batch, or sweetening to offset the tannins, or aging.

It wouldn't surprise me if it turns out fine. Heather honey tends to be loaded with protein (making it very foamy) and a good size dose of tannin might not cause any problem.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Prophet Mykola

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 24, 2012
Well, the primary fermentation is finished. I had a sip, and so far it is the most disgusting thing I have ever tried. GV3 yeast fermented it bone dry, no residual sweetness at all. I wouldn't judge the thing after the primary though, will see how it tastes in a couple of months time.

fatbloke

good egg/snappy dresser.....
GotMead Patron
Well with the suggestions from CG and Medsen, I can assure you that they're good. Both know their sheee-at !

As for the brew tasting like total barf! That's hardly a surprise. Lots of young meads are like that. The trick is too bulk age it once clear, then every 3 or 4 months, take a single measure (25 mls) and taste it. I age for a very minimum of 6 months..... even JAO that's supposed to be drinkable when cleared. Most of my brews will get at least 12 months, often more.

You'll be amazed at the changes that time brings to meads..... just have a search for the late Brother Adam and his brews down at Buckfast, he used to age them for 7 years or thereabouts. Plus before his death in the mid 90's, he was using the montpelier strain of yeast a.k.a. Lalvin K1V-1116 or Gervin varietal E which is a damn good yeast for traditionals...

ken_schramm

The Compleat Sybarite
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Jan 5, 2005
Troy, MI
The only thing I would add that others here have not touched on is that tannin and acid additions are best done "to taste" after the fermentation is done, and the mead has been given some aging - say, three months. I tend to do that with any ingredient that can go over the top very quickly - tannin, acid, or spices. You can always add more, but getting anything back out of a mead once it's in there just doesn't happen.

Blending is an option. You can find out if that night be worth your while by using a batch you have already bottled, or a commercial example you like but think lacks acid or tannin backbone.

Yours,
Ken

BSC

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 2, 2012
The tannin I have say 1 teaspoon to a gallon, so assuming you have similar then only twice the amount. Youngs tannin ? (UK also)

Suspect that it will not effect it too much, just treat it as normal, and leave to mature for 6 months then give it a taste again.

You said it was dry with GV3 and 1.7Kg honey I would expect dry. GV3 is tolerant of higher alcohol level so will have devoured all the honey you had in, so dry, possibly very dry. Guess about 12-13% with the honey you said, maybe a little higher. As you didn't mention metallic than I would say the tannin added has not done any harm.

Willing to bet that in 6 months it will be reasonable and by christmas 2013 quite good. Don't worry.

Prophet Mykola

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 24, 2012
Well, I tried the egg white trick, it didn't do much as much as I can taste. I am currently bulk ageing it, and will try it again in 6 month time or so. GV3 made it bone dry indeed.

PitBull

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 25, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Give it time.

Well, the primary fermentation is finished. I had a sip, and so far it is the most disgusting thing I have ever tried. GV3 yeast fermented it bone dry, no residual sweetness at all. I wouldn't judge the thing after the primary though, will see how it tastes in a couple of months time.
"A couple of months" is hardly any time for aging mead, especially for a dry, traditional. With such a small batch, I recommend bottling in beer bottles. Beer bottles are approximately equal to 1/2 a standard 750 ml bottle. That way you can sample along the aging process without using a great deal of your product in one sitting. Also, take notes on your impressions. You'll learn a great deal from the process that, I'm sure, you will want to reference late. You'll be glad you did.

Best of luck!

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns