• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Two gallon batches in a 3 gallon jug

Barrel Char Wood Products

McJeff

NewBee
Registered Member
May 17, 2013
Farmington, Maine
I've got about 5 diff 1 gallon meads goin on right now and I'm really starting to hate the 1 gallon jugs. Small mouth, never seem to have enough room after the fruit and a pain the clean.
So I've been thinking I would get some 3 gallon jugs and make a two gallon batch. I was thinking after the fruit I would still have room for 2 gallons of must. But will that be too much extra free air?

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
That's fine while you're fermenting and while it's still releasing carbon dioxide, but once you rack it you won't want so much headspace. Although then you could just fill two 1-gal jugs...

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
That's fine while you're fermenting and while it's still releasing carbon dioxide, but once you rack it you won't want so much headspace. Although then you could just fill two 1-gal jugs...

X2 Once it's done, rack it into gallon jugs! What could be nicer?

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
although if you really wanna make things easier on yourself, get a bucket and a fruit bag. New pillowcase works, tied with cotton yarn... 5 gal bucket is fine for primary for 1 gal batches and the open end of a bucket is way easier to manage fruit...

kchaystack

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 26, 2013
Lansing, MI
Have you had any airlock activity on the carboy? If you have, some fermentation has taken place and likely driven off the O2 in your head space.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns