• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

A Quick Question About My First Brew

Barrel Char Wood Products

tnecniv

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 8, 2013
So for my first brew I want to try Joe's Ancient Orange and Spice Mead from here, but I want to swap out the oranges for the sugar equivalent amount of peaches. Will I need to change anything else in the process to accomedate for this change? The recipe mentions that he uses some non-standard brewing practices, so are any of these dependent on the ingredient choices?

Honeyhog

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 6, 2013
Vancouver, BC
That's the thing with Joe's it works every time if you follow the recipe, especially the first time. JAOM works because of the residual sweetness mixed with the bitter of the orange pith, that changes as soon as you start exchanging fruits, yeasts and quantities of honey. For a peach brew I would look around for a proven recipe as most like to rack fermented mead onto fresh fruit in the secondary carboy to give it more peach flavour that otherwise would likely get fermented out if put in the primary.

tnecniv

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 8, 2013
Okay, I will stick with oranges then. Can I cut out the raisins though, or are they magic too? I am not really a big fan of them.

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
With the exception of the optional spices, if you follow the recipe to the letter you will get a fantastic result. If you feel like you HAVE to meddle, then for Fortuna's sake make two gallons and mess around with the second gallon while leaving the first one alone. You will be glad you did.

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
Doing at least the first JAO to the letter is a solid recommendation. You'll never know the raisins are there.

And then when you decide you just have to mess with the recipe for your second batch, take a look at the JAO Variants thread, where we all share what variations work for us and why we think they do... my take on it is you need to find the acidity equivalent rather than the sugar equivalent (since you can adjust the sugar by the amount of honey you add, anything goes if the SG is around 1.125), and since peaches from what I've read tend to be rather light on flavour as it pertains to fermentation, you might want to try a few peaches and maybe a tablespoon or two of lemon juice.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns