• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Infusing with fresh blueberries

Barrel Char Wood Products

BlueBomber

NewBee
Registered Member
May 16, 2014
Hi all,

Using Joes ancient recipe guidelines, I'd like to try a blueberry mead. I have a bush in the back yard that yields quite a bit, but I only just thought of this and I only got a little more than a cup. Is that enough for 1gallon batch?

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
I don't know, but if I were you I would throw them in anyway. Maybe go to the supermarket and get a basket to supplement? What I do know is that it shouldn't stay on the blueberries very long. I'm sure someone with actual experience using them will chime in!

Sent from my galafreyan transdimensional communicator 100 years from now.

BlueBomber

NewBee
Registered Member
May 16, 2014
Thanks! I didn't think about how long it should stay...Rack it after 2weeks? A month?

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
I have read that mead shouldn't stay on fruit lees for very long. Something like a couple of weeks or so or the skin will give the mead a very bitter flavor. I also think you're supposed to mash it up. But do some searches on melomels "Blueberry mel" and see what pops up.

Medsen Fey

Fuselier since 2007
Premium Patron
With fruit in the gross lees there is always a risk that sulfur odors may develop. However, with variations of JAO, it is very rare to have it get stinky. You can usually just manage things in the usual manner (leave it alone until clear).

The bitterness/astringency will be balanced by the residual sugar.

BlueBomber

NewBee
Registered Member
May 16, 2014
Thanks! I appreciate the advice. I was planning on letting it sit in there until clear, then rack.

kudapucat

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 2, 2010
Bundoora, Melbourne, Australia
If you mean a cup as in 250ml (or half a pint if you must) then in a standard 1 gal JAO it will give a very mild flavour.
I would add it in secondary to try and preserve as much flavour as possible.
Skins bitterness and acidity will balance the sugar well, just like the orange does in the original recipe, so like Medsen I concur, leave them in for the tannin and maximum flavour extraction.
Personally I wouldn't mash them, as I believe the seeds are more likely to give your astringent flavour than the skins. If you like you can bruise them, or break the skin. The yeast and alcohol will get in there and do their thing.
Though the flavour will be mild, it will still make it interesting, and the colour will be awesome.
Good luck, and let us know how it turns out.
Next year: don't eat so many!

NB Handy tip with valuable berries - use a fruit bag. Keep them out of the lees.
When you pull them out, you can still use them to make jam and sauce etc.

Kakalakee

NewBee
Registered Member
May 22, 2014
www.facebook.com
I just made a blueberry melomel - probably used 3 or 4 quarts of backyard berries. Froze mine, thawed, and just gave a little mash in ziplocks, then put panty hose leg in the carboy (through a funnel) and poured the berry mash into the stocking. Worked great. Kept the berries in for about 2 weeks. I so added 3-4 sliced vanilla beans which worked very nicely. Finished product is off the hook.

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
I was a little thrown off by the use of "infusing." I didn't realize you were using them in the primary. But if you listen to Medsen and kuda you can't go wong. Those two have mels down pat.

BlueBomber

NewBee
Registered Member
May 16, 2014
Thanks for the great advice! Yeah, infusing was the wrong word choice...

I do not have blueberries in the primary, in fact, all I have in one primary is just yeast, honey and water! My plan was to throw them in the secondary once the primary clears up a bit.

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
I've made blueberry wine a few times and made mels with the second runs (reusing the fruit bag) but I haven't tried a blueberry JAO variant yet :) Hope it goes well and there's at least a hint of blueberry flavour to the end product!

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
At least some raisins.

Sent from my galafreyan transdimensional communicator 100 years from now.

BlueBomber

NewBee
Registered Member
May 16, 2014
Without some nutrients from fruit in the primary, a variation of JAO may have problems with stalling or with odors. You may want to add the fruit.

Ah, never thought of that. So just throw them in whole, or maybe slice them a little before? Once I rack and send to the secondary, should I get the fruit out and toss them in as well?

Thanks for all the replies, greatly appreciate everyone's input and patience!

BlueBomber

NewBee
Registered Member
May 16, 2014
Well if you make a JAO, you don't rack it. If you do decide to rack, leave the spent fruit behind. I'd mash the berries a little, enough to rupture them, and add them in.

I know he says not to rack it, but shouldn't I rack it a few times to get the sediment out?

BlueBomber

NewBee
Registered Member
May 16, 2014
Lol, yeah I know I probably shouldn't, but what happens if it does get racked? Is there something that occurs when you do it?

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
Yes, the mighty Joe himself steps down from the heavens and smites your brew...

Kidding.

But it's a tried and true thing, start with the true recipe once, then go ahead and start mucking with it.

Or ask someone who's mucked with it a lot. (Hi! I think I qualify!) Mash the fruit to break the berries. Stick to 3.5 lb honey per gal and use the bread yeast, those are the two most important things that keep it a JAO variant, the next most important is to make sure there's enough acidity to balance things, if your fruit's not terribly acidic, add juice from half a lemon, that should do it without affecting the flavour, if it's not got enough acidity it's just way too syrupy sweet... Leave the fruit till it sinks and it clears up (usually happens one within a week or two of the other), that's how you know you're done your JAO variant and it's time to bottle (or rack).

Racking it might stall it early or cause you not to get the full flavour of the ingredients. The point at which the fruit sinks and it clears up on its own and the instructions say to bottle it? This is when you can rack it without calling down Joe's vengeance. He'll never know if you rack it and let things settle out for a week before bottling if it's after the point at which the recipe says to bottle it. Or at least he's never noticed when I've done that.

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
NO need to rack it. This stuff goes crystal clear and the fruit drops to the bottom THEN you rack it. Frankly, I've never made a 5 gallon batch of JAOM, so it's never really been around too long after clearing but I did rack it into a few bottles after it was done. Don't be fooled however, even though you think it's crystal clear and indeed it looks like it is; there is still sediment waiting to fall out of suspension. Just add the fruit and forget about it for three months.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns