• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Brits! I need to know if it's true!!!!

Barrel Char Wood Products

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
I was watching Top Gear and they did a tribute to Television Centre in White City had not been closed down after all. If true that would be great news! Anyone know if this is indeed going to remain open? I was hoping to go back there and tie one on at the bar. Seriously though, I'm a huge BBC fan (I even got a job there just to go to Television Centre) and I would love one more chance to see the old round place.

fatbloke

good egg/snappy dresser.....
GotMead Patron
Doesn't "Mr Google" know ? Cos I ain't even considering going into the central area with my 60ft unit and trailer anytime soon ;D

They did close down TV centre when that all moved up north to Salford, but there's lots of other bits still floating around town.........

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
Ahhh yes google. Wow. It's true. Seems they are renting it back. As one un-named BBC star said, "it's insane." Lol.

When they moved cbeebies to Salford to be "less London" I thought someone had a screw loose. Guess I was correct.

Sent from my galafreyan transdimensional communicator 100 years from now.

fatbloke

GotMead Patron
Ahhh yes google. Wow. It's true. Seems they are renting it back. As one un-named BBC star said, "it's insane." Lol.

When they moved cbeebies to Salford to be "less London" I thought someone had a screw loose. Guess I was correct.

It was a cash thing. The rent/lease will be much cheaper than completely owning/maintaining. Plus now they've got shiney new facilities on the outskirts of Manchester (much, much cheaper than anything inside the M25), just that there was a few changes to staff/faces/anchors etc, who said bollocks to moving up north - there's still some stigma about it in some of these "southern parts".....

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
I don't understand why the north has a stigma. I mean, didn't they shoot "every sperm is sacred" in Leeds?? :)

fatbloke

GotMead Patron
I don't understand why the north has a stigma. I mean, didn't they shoot "every sperm is sacred" in Leeds?? :)
Indeed, but London is the capital, both of money and influence.

The London/SE area having a concentration of both.

Many of us, feel this is bollocks, but even among the monied/chattering/establishment classes, there's been a "you're a north/west/east/provincial yokels" attitude, that is probably older than the US. Ergo something considered as vital as national media leadership, should be London based - or that's how it "should" be........

Those who've made the decisions to shift away (albeit for good, sensible, usually financial reasons), will have been thought of as stupid, nouveaux riche yokels, who most likely are intelligent, educated people, but who "went to the wrong schools"..........

This change from stuff being so "Londoncentric" is hard to convey. It's more a vague social attitude than an easily explained phenomena.......

I'm one of the southern dissenters, who feel that the establishment should take its head out of its collective arse and get over it (actually, I believe private education establishments should be banned, because they are (arguably) the most divisive element in modern Britain - a throw back to Victoria, and maybe even earlier)......

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
Hmmmm. I thought it was a dig at Catholics. At least that was the obvious context.

Honeyhog

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 6, 2013
Vancouver, BC
Hmmmm. I thought it was a dig at Catholics. At least that was the obvious context.

Who, mostly live up north/west/east. Same thing really. I suspect it likely goes right back to the Roman occupation of Britain when Londinium was the center of Roman culture and power and the farther away you were from there the more primitive and barbaric you were considered.

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
Well, regardless of the motivation, it seems silly and to be frank, really reminds me of the confederacy of dunces taking up arms against greatness and destroying something that means a lot, not just to you guys, but to anyone that appreciates radio, television and just plain good work. BBC surprises me sometimes with the bone-head moves it makes... like for example recording over the first few seasons of Dr.Who forever destroying these historic programs.

I had the great luck to work at TV Centre and even though it was just to record some CBeebies cut ins, I was overwhelmed by the history and grandeur of the place. I spent my first weekend in London just walking around the donut, having a way too many pints at the BBC Club on the third floor (I think...lol) and taking many many up close pictures of a dalek that was just sitting there JUST SITTING THERE!!!!!! in the little cafeteria.

Everyone thought I was nuts. But I was happier there than I would have been visiting Big Ben or whatever.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns