PDA

View Full Version : I feel the earth move under my feet!

Oskaar
06-16-2005, 05:23 PM
Hey,

We just had another small earthquake here in Southern California. Some of you may have heard that we had a 7.2 quake offshore that generated a Tsunami warning temporarily, and was then retracted within a half hour after the quake.

Today at a little before 2:00 PM we had a 5.4 out around Yucaipa which is about 65 miles away from me. It caused some of my books to shift off the edge of my bookshelf but nothing more. I did however go downstairs and clear shelves of my bar. I have tile floor downstairs and I wouldn't want to see any of those bottle grenade off of the barshelves onto the floor. That would be . . . wrong! LOL

Whole lotta shakin going on! Looks like we're gettin ready for the big one baby!

Cheers,

Oskaar

storm1969
06-16-2005, 05:29 PM
Just think of it as free, no hands stirring!

briankettering
06-16-2005, 06:11 PM
The center of the earthquake was only 10 miles from my house. Nothing broken or spilled, just a little shaken up.

I was most concerned about the 1 1/2 gallons of strawberry wine I have in primary. It is such a beautiful blood-red color I would cry if anything happened to it. :'(

Brian K

Commander Toasty
06-16-2005, 07:27 PM
You got blood red?
I just racked from primary with my six gal of strawberry, and it is not red. I used twelve pounds of fresh fruit. Sure has the flavor, but not very dark color. Of course it is all musty right now. I put my fruit in at primary, and perhaps that is why I don't have such a dark color.

Also just pitched a new batch of apricot. Twenty pounds of fresh fruit for a six gal batch. Waiting for my first little bubbles! Oh yes - thanks to those of you with the yeast suggestion as I did go with D-47. Going to take a lot of patience though...

Miriam
06-17-2005, 12:23 AM
I thought of you, Oskaar, when I saw the news of the earthquake. I was glad to see no reports of serious damage...and I hope that "big one" never materializes. We feel shakes here in Israel also - last year there was one. I nervously stood under a doorway and watched the wine sloshing in carboys while the walls moved. Leaves you dizzy for a little while afterwards. Turning the radio on to hear what damage, if any, I was amused to catch a wry little folksong about dizzyness and wine, that the broadcasting authority put on as a comic relief.

Miriam

Brewbear
06-17-2005, 12:51 AM
I was at the microscope....Darn, i thought my eyes were going crazy....
Take a look at the quake map from USGS. I think we're about to have the new "California Islands" being formed. Either way, I'll have beach front property then :-\
Hey Brian, you know about the wino that was keeping his bottle in his pant's back pocket? He slipped on a banana peel, and fell on his back. Upon feeling something wet on his backside, he lifted his eyes to the sky and in tears, he exclamed: "Please, GOD, let it be blood!!!!"
Well, at least it's not shake and bake. :-[
Ted

Brewbear
06-17-2005, 11:40 PM
We had one last night near Eurika?
Is it time to move????
Vancouver....I like it, nice weather, the wild strawberries in the area are the best...as far as I can remember :'(

Hold on and don't panic....YET!!!!
Ted

Mynx
06-18-2005, 11:17 AM
/votes for Vancouver.

Of course, I could be biased ;)

briankettering
06-18-2005, 11:25 AM
You got blood red?
I just racked from primary with my six gal of strawberry, and it is not red. I used twelve pounds of fresh fruit. Sure has the flavor, but not very dark color. Of course it is all musty right now. I put my fruit in at primary, and perhaps that is why I don't have such a dark color.

You used 12 pounds of strawberries for a six gallon batch. I used 8-10 pounds of strawberries (a full flat) to produce just under 1 1/2 gallons of juice. That probably explains the dark red color of the must that I am fermenting. ;D

Brian K