• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

white film

Barrel Char Wood Products

yabb_unknown_usr

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 28, 2005
After having a few bottles of amazing mead, and an amazing hangover, and a friend's wedding some time ago, I decided to try my hand at it. It is a straightforward hydromel in which I used fifteen pounds of honey, White Lab's sweet mead yeast (720), and enough water to create a five gallon batch. Initial specific gravity was approximately 1.1. Primary fermentation was nominal, and we racked two days ago, at which point the specific gravity was approximately 1.025.

Twelve hours after racking, many great and small collections of white globules formed atop the mead. Closer inspection suggested that they were simply foam and perhaps yeast, as I could see them popping and forming over time. A slight white film has formed as well, however, and this has caused me some concern. The film is slightly broken around the bigger globules. Fermentation continues, and the airlock informs me of this at intervals of about a minute or so.

Is this film atypical, and should I be concerned? I am most emphatically convinced that all of my hopes and dreams would die if my mead becomes corrupted.

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
I've had that white film on top of my mead before. No biggie, it's more than likely some yeast cells doing the backstroke while they try to figure out if they're going to eat some more.

Cheers,

Oskaar

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns