• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Gluten Free Beer: Good News & Bad News

Barrel Char Wood Products

akueck

Certified Mead Mentor
Certified Mead Mentor
Jun 26, 2006
Ithaca, NY
It's my understanding that the brewing process reduces cyanide levels back down to "trace". Definitely don't eat raw malted sorghum though. I believe it is the heating (kilning + boiling) that removes the cyanide.

wayneb

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
I haven't seen any documentation that definitively shows a reduction in cyanide due to processing with heat, but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen. Still, I'd like to see an authoritative source citation before I'd feel comfortable working with any malted grain that is as high in cyanide as sorghum. Got any references?? ;D

Medsen Fey

Fuselier since 2007
Premium Patron
They apparently use malted sorghum, though the variety may be somewhat different. In this short reference to it in HBD, they describe it as follows:
It falls into a category referred to as "SMM" (Sorghum/Maize/Millet) beer, as these are the principal ingredients used to brew it. Industrial versions actually contain very little sorghum - approximately 10% (the remainder being unmalted maize).

Traditionally, malted grain sorghum (variety caffrorum) comprises at least half of the grain bill in home and village-brewed versions, the other half being millet or maize. Keep in mind that this sorghum is not the same as the "sweet sorghum" (variety saccharatum) used to produce the molasses-like syrup commonly found in North America. Please consult my articles in the 1995 Special issue of "Zymurgy" for more details on sorghum, its varieties, and the various methods used to malt it.

I'd be interested to see the Zymurgy article, and to learn if the brewing eliminates those cyanide compounds. Otherwise "cherry red ale" could take on a whole new meaning.

akueck

Certified Mead Mentor
Certified Mead Mentor
Jun 26, 2006
Ithaca, NY
I'd be alright doing it, as long as I can remove the sprouts.

This is true, the cyanide is supposed to be concentrated in the growing shoots, not the remaining germ/hull/starch/stuff. Wayne--I have a horrible habit of remembering all sorts of things, but never knowing where I heard them. Why question my obviously universal truths? :p I will see what I can come up with when I get home.

In any case, folks do and have made beer with malted sorghum so it's probably not too poisonous. FWIW, the sorghum extract from Briess is (exogenous, I assume) enzymatically converted sorghum, not extract of malted sorghum. They have two ways of doing it which result in different "glucose equivalent" sugar concentration, or some such oddball measurement.

akueck

Certified Mead Mentor
Certified Mead Mentor
Jun 26, 2006
Ithaca, NY
Alright Mr Proverb (good thing Google speaks Russian!). Along with this thread appearing on the first page of the results for "sorghum malt cyanide brewing heat reduction", here is your evidence:

Changes in tannin and cyanide contents and diastic activity during germination and the effect of traditional processing on cyanide content of sorghum cultivars
S. B. Ahmed, S. A. Mahgoub and B. E. Babiker

Abstract

Investigation of three sorghum cultivars showed that tannin content of ungerminated seeds were 220, 410 and 400 mg/100 g for Waznashra, Feterita and Gadamelhamam cultivars, respectively. For all cultivars, ungerminated seeds were found to contain no free or total cyanide. Their diastatic activities (the combined α- and β-amylase activities) were found to be zero. For all cultivars, tannin content was slightly increased when seeds were germinated for different periods. Both free and total cyanide were significantly increased with the length time of germination for all cultivars. Fermentation and heat treatment of germinated seeds significantly reduced cyanide content and only traces were detected in the final product (Hulu-murr and Merissa). Fermentation alone was found to reduce cyanide content, although not as much as when it was accompanied by heat treatment. Diastatic activity markedly increased with time of germination for Feterita and Gadamelhamam cultivars while for Waznashra it increased markedly up to day 3 after which it started to decline rapidly.
Results indicated that germination of sorghum seeds for different periods increased tannin and cyanide contents, while changes in diastatic activity depend on type of cultivar. Traditional processing was found to reduce cyanide contents of germinated seeds.
which says brewing makes it good and here is one that says degerming the malt is enough to reduce cyanide to acceptable levels even without turning it into beer:
Changes in nutrient composition, phytate and cyanide contents and α-amylase activity during cereal malting in small production units in Ouagadougou (Burkina Faso)

T. Traoré, C. Mouqueta, C. Icard-Vernièrea, A. S. Traoréb and S. Trèchea

Abstract

The different traditional processes used in cereal malting were characterised and some biochemical modifications occurring in seeds during malting were studied to examine the possibility of using malted cereal flours to reduce the viscosity of gruels prepared from infant flours. Five production units (PU) of malted red sorghum seeds, two PU of malted millet seeds and one PU of malted maize seeds were selected as a function of the ability of the malt flours to fluidify high energy density gruels. Each of the 8 PU were monitored throughout the malt production process in order to describe rigorously the different steps in their malting process and to establish a detailed general production diagram. Samples were collected after soaking, germination, maturation, drying, and degerming and at the final product. They were analysed for nutrient, phytate and cyanide contents and α-amylase activity. For the 3 types of cereals, malting increased protein content while it decreased lipid and ash contents. A significant increase was observed in sucrose, glucose and fructose contents during malting, in particular during the germination step. The decrease in phytate content during malting was more obvious in millet seeds than in red sorghum and maize seeds. α-amylase activity increased during malting in all 3 types of cereals but more in red sorghum seeds than in millet and maize seeds. Cyanide content considerably increased during malting, particularly in red sorghum seeds. Sucrose content decreased during maturation while glucose and fructose contents increased. Traditional manual degerming reduced fibre and ash contents in all 3 types of cereals. Degerming had little effect on phytate content but reduced cyanide content to an acceptable level for human consumption even if it did not allow the complete elimination of cyanide. Unfortunately, degerming was accompanied by a decrease in α-amylase activity. The maturation step should be eliminated from the malting process (biochemical characteristics were not much affected as a result) and degerming of the seeds has to be systematically conducted after sun drying to achieve a significant reduction in cyanide content. Flours from malted red sorghum or millet seeds presented useful characteristics (α-amylase activity and nutrient contents) for incorporation in infant flours to improve the energy and nutrient density of gruels.
and lastly from the WHO, see page 24 for the "brewing reduces cyanide" conclusion.

Tada! Told you I am always right. You know, except for that 80% of time when I am not. ;)

Now go make some sorghum beer!

BBBF

Worker Bee
Registered Member
May 19, 2008
Chicago, Land of Corruption
Buckwheat malting is going very well. I started Saturday morning and I'm already about ready to start drying the grain. The millet is still lagging behind, but I can see a few shoots starting to show. I really would have expected the buckwheat to take longer than the millet and amaranth because the larger grain should take longer to absorb water. I'm not sure if those grains take longer because that is the nature of the grain, my malting temps being closer to the required temp of buckwheat and quinoa than millet or amaranth or if the hulled buckwheat absorbes water faster because of it's lack of a hull.

picture.php

BBBF

Worker Bee
Registered Member
May 19, 2008
I decided to take advantage of the 4 day weekend and get back to malting. I tried another pound of millet and 5 more of the buckwheat.

I still can't get anything out of the millet. It might be that my basement temps are too cold for a grain that's used to a warmer climent, but I'm beginning to think it might be Whole Food's millet.

The buckwheat did malt, but it wasn't ready when I left for work Monday morning and after needing to work some overtime, I came home and it had definatley gone too far. Also, that resulted wet grains that didn't get rinses or moved around for 13 hours. There was a weird, buttery popcorn smell. I went ahead and kilned it. I don't think I'll put any real effort into making beer with this, although I will mash it and see if there is any conversion.

akueck

Certified Mead Mentor
Certified Mead Mentor
Jun 26, 2006
Ithaca, NY
Hehe, I co-malted some millet and buckwheat over the weekend too. ;D The buckwheat sprouts much faster than the millet. Mine is already drying, I liked my last go-around with undermodified millet so I'm going to try it again. I will be adding enzymes to mine though, since I know they won't convert on their own.

Zem

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Sep 14, 2005
LYE?!? What on earth for??

Sorry, I'm sure this sounds ignorant but could you enlighten me on how lye plays into the beer making process?

akueck

Certified Mead Mentor
Certified Mead Mentor
Jun 26, 2006
Ithaca, NY
First, you blind the grain with the lye. Then you sneak up on it from behind and turn it into beer. ;D

You can use lye as an anti-fungal during malting. I have personally had better luck so far with K-meta (higher germination yield), but the lye did keep the mold at bay and my 3 data points are hardly conclusive.

BBBF

Worker Bee
Registered Member
May 19, 2008
Hefe Buchweizen

Last weekend I finally used by buckwheat and brewed a hefe weizen.

3 Gallon Recipe

4.5 lbs of Buckwheat Malt
1.5 lbs of Dry Sorghum Extract
14.9 oz of Rice Hulls
.5 oz Liberty Hops (60 minutes)
Danstar Munich Yeast

Even though I malted the buckwheat, I'm added some Convertase and some alpha amyase to the mash. As much as I'd like to say my malt fully converted itself, I'd also like to have some beer when this is done.

It was a looooooong brew day. My decoction procedure was perfect. I had to add more water when I gelatinized the grains because they ended up having the consistancy refried beans. I'm not sure if that's a buckwheat problem or if I'll have to include that step in my procedure. I ended up mashing for 2 hours and then sparging was impossible. I had a stainless braid, with a colander over it, I lined my MLT with a 5 gallon paint straining bag and I added 14.9 ounces of rice hulls. I could get a cup of clear, yellow wort an then nothing. After screwing around for way too long, I ended just sqeezing the bag. It wasn't clear and pretty, but I did get a 3 gallons of 1.030 wort

I normally do not secondary, but a lot of trub, hop pellets and flour made it into the primary and I was worried about it causing off flavors. Yesterday, I racked two gallons of clear liquid to the secondary and left a gallon of sludge. I'm going to hold onto the sludge for another week or two to see if it settles at all.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns