• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Not sure I have this hydrometer thing down yet

Barrel Char Wood Products

darigoni

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Jun 4, 2016
Brookline, NH
Well, that's to bad. I might have waited until the morning before I pitched it. On the plus side, it was only a one gallon batch. After primatpry fermentation is complete, you may want to rack into another carboy with another 1 to 2 pounds of blueberries. Good luck.

Stasis

Honey Master
Registered Member
Jan 10, 2014
Malta
Thrown away? Meads are very often salvageable, especially after extensive aging. I wouldn't throw a batch away, even when I'm "sure" it's bad. But then again I have many carboys to spare. Meads can often take long to start off, especially with no rehydration protocol. You could have also had a dud pack of yeast (uncommon but not impossible) and the must could have been perfectly fine. Oh well, just be more patient next time ;)

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns