• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

The fermation is really stuck, what shall I do?

Barrel Char Wood Products

aenima

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Sep 22, 2016
Hi!

I have started this mead (14 litres batch):

5 kg clover honey
5 liter ecologic pomegranate juice
2,5 g Fermaid K
5 g GoFerm
1,5 g calcium carbonate
2 packages of Lalvin 71B-1122
OG 1,125

The problem is that after one month the fermation stopped at 1,050. I added rehrdraded EC-1118 and thought it would start to ferment again. But it did not. What do I need to do to start the fermentation? And why has it stopped?

/Peter

Dadux

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Jan 5, 2016
Spain, Europe
Hi Peter

Start by describing the recipe more.
What was the process? How did you rehydrate? Any gravity reading? any pH readings? Aereate? Degassing?

About why has it stopped its probably either (or both)
A) the nutrients you added are not enough. You should have used 12.5 grams GoFerm and around 8 grams of Fermaid K. Too little nutrients in the must will make the yeast stop fermenting.

B) The pommegranate juice might have lowered the pH too much. 1.5 grams of calcium carbonate is nowhere enough to buffer against 5 liters of juice. I dont know the acidity of said juice so i cant be sure there is a pH issue. But next time use 0.5 grams per liter (of must) of POTASSIUM carbonate (much better than calcium for mead) to buffer. That being said, normally you dont need to buffer but using juices its better to measure pH and if its too low, use the buffer.

About why didnt ec1118 restart fermentation: You cant pitch a yeast directly into a must with that ABV (around 9%), the yeast will die. Also the must was still lacking nutrients.

How to restart the fermentation: http://www.scottlab.com/pdf/ScottlabsHandbook2016.pdf
Follow instruction on pages 28-29 of the book and steps 3-12 (Ignore steps 1 and 2).

bernardsmith

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Sep 1, 2013
Saratoga Springs , NY
Hi Peter - to restart a stalled fermentation you want to turn your normal procedure on its head because if there is a problem in the must rather than a problem with the yeast then simply adding more yeast will not solve the problem. Dadux's post suggests some possible issues to look for and resolve but here's what I would do

1. Make a starter with say, 1 cup or so of sugar water (could be apple juice) with an SG of about 1.040 or so.
2. Pitch the yeast (follow guidelines for rehydration).
3. When the yeast is clearly actively fermenting in this starter add the same volume (1 cup) from the stalled batch.
4. Allow this time to begin actively fermenting.
5. If this is now actively fermenting then add the same volume (now 2 cups) from the stalled batch and allow this time to begin actively fermenting.
6. Repeat this , doubling the volume of the starter until all the stalled batch is now in the starter batch.

Reactions: KitKat1485

aenima

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Sep 22, 2016
Hi again!
I will add more calcium carbonate, GoFerm and Fermain K to the must and add a package of QA23 and EC1118 and see if the gravity drops. Otherwise I think the mead will do as it is actually. I really do not get that sweet impression a 1,050 final gravity would. I guess Dadux is right about the pH. WIll need to invest in pH messure stuff I guess.
/Peter

Dadux

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Jan 5, 2016
Spain, Europe
Hi again!
I will add more calcium carbonate, GoFerm and Fermain K to the must and add a package of QA23 and EC1118 and see if the gravity drops. Otherwise I think the mead will do as it is actually. I really do not get that sweet impression a 1,050 final gravity would. I guess Dadux is right about the pH. WIll need to invest in pH messure stuff I guess.
/Peter

Dont add GoFerm to the must. Its a rehydration nutrient. Will do little good added to the must like that. Use it to rehydrate a packet of ec-1118.

If you dont wany to complicate it and wish to leave it as is, consider fortifying it with high proof alcohol to reach your desired abv.

pH strips are very cheap and easy to use. You can grab em at amazon or in a lhbs.

Stasis

Honey Master
Registered Member
Jan 10, 2014
Malta
Dont add GoFerm to the must. Its a rehydration nutrient. Will do little good added to the must like that. Use it to rehydrate a packet of ec-1118.

If you dont wany to complicate it and wish to leave it as is, consider fortifying it with high proof alcohol to reach your desired abv.

pH strips are very cheap and easy to use. You can grab em at amazon or in a lhbs.

Actually, I wouldn't suggest adding anything blindly. Adding anything your must does not need might be detrimental either to taste or to it's ability to naturally fight off spoilage organisms. You will also learn nothing by doing stuff blindly and if this ever happens again you will be in the same spot. A digital ph meter is actually very cheap. A quick search on ebay and the yellow one I'm using is less than $8.
Oh, and careful bottling this mead as it is since there is a good chance that the ferment will restart and pop corks spurting mead everywhere champagne-style or maybe even cause bottle bombs

Last edited:
Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns