• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Mutiny on the bounty cyser question

Barrel Char Wood Products

yodgel

NewBee
Registered Member
May 30, 2018
Sydney, Australia
Hi guys, just a quick question on if you think I should rack into the secondary yet?

I scaled up the Mutiny on the Bounty Cyser recipe to:
23 Litre Batch size

18.4 Litres Apple Juice
4.6 Litres Honey
2.3 Litres Spring Water
275.6 Grams Dates
275.6 Grams Seedless Raisins
413.4 Grams Pure Cane brown sugar
137.8 Grams Vanilla Sugar
1 tsp Yeast Nutrient*
2 tsp Yeast Energizer*
10 g Lalvin K1-V1116 Rehydrated as per Lalvin's instructions

I didn’t use yeast nutrient or enigizer as the original recipe said it works well without and it has seemed to ferment well without.

My question is, it’s been 1.5 months and the airlock is still blipping at around every 40sec.
It’s reading a gravity of 1.020 as of a week ago and it pretty much fermented at 18-20° C.
From my reading, I thought it was ready to rack at about the one month mark and it should be blipping less than once per minute.
I thought this recipe stopped at 1.015-1.025 but did so in the secondary? Or did I miss read and it should be force stopped around this reading?
Could I just have some trapped gas still coming out and it’s ready to rack or should I leave it in the primary longer?
It’s smells and tastes fine, so no concerns of anything wrong with it. Just after some pro advice as this is only my second ferment, so still a noob.
Cheers
Josh

Squatchy

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Nov 3, 2014
Denver
If you like it that sweet then rack it. If you want it drier wait. I would feed it next time. I would feed everything, always

yodgel

NewBee
Registered Member
May 30, 2018
Sydney, Australia
Cheers Squatchy.
I ended up racking it. It was at 1.010 so hopefully it doesn’t go to much lower. But I may end up backsweetning with some cider anyway.
I’ll feed from now on.

yodgel

NewBee
Registered Member
May 30, 2018
Sydney, Australia
Sorry for more questions. I’ve racked it into the secondary at 1.010 and now there’s lots of little bubbles coming up and the airlock is blipping every 8 seconds. Is this something to be concerned about or do I just let it do it’s thing? I thought it was almost done.
I did go on holidays for 10 days when it was only just over a week old, so couldn’t stir it during this period.

Squatchy

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Nov 3, 2014
Denver
CO2 escapes from solution long after the fermentation is over. That's why we don't give a crap about bubbles. Your hydrometer reading is the only thing that counts.

yodgel

NewBee
Registered Member
May 30, 2018
Sydney, Australia
Ok cool. I’m not planning on bottling anytime soon but even if all the sugars have been eaten up, I’m guessing I should still avoid bottling until there no more bubbling?

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns