Thread: Honey Source

1. Default Honey Source

Hello All,
    Glad I found you guy's and gal's, I've been lurking for a couple weeks (got a lot more reading to do). Since I became interested in mead, I now see honey everywhere I go (it was probably always there and I just never paid much attention). Anyway I thought I'd throw this out there for general info, at Kroger I noticed that they now have Orange Blossom, Alfalfa,
    Blueberry, and Buckwheat. There a bit pricey 2.99/12oz, but might good in a pinch, anybody know of cheaper sources? I've decided to make the ancient orange for my first batch (thanks Joe) will let you know how it turns out. Thank you Vicky for providing such an invaluable resource.
    Philip Moore

Default Re: Honey Source

Sam's and Walmart might be a bit cheaper for small quantities of Clover and common honey. To get prices of about $2 per lb of other honeys, you almost have to buy by the gallon or a 60lb pail. The ancient orange takes 3 1/2 lbs Clover so I would recommend a 5 lb container at Sams for about $10 for your first mead. It should turn out well for your 1st mead.
    Best of Luck and welcome.
    Joe

3. Default Re: Honey Source

I've been using kroger as my buckwheat honey source for a year, I haven't experimented with the other honey's yet.

There's also Costco and Trader Joe's. Costco carries Sue Bee clover honey, and Trader Joe's carries a really good Mesquite Honey.

Cheers,

Oskaar
    Is it tasty . . . precious?

5. Default Re: Honey Source

Sam's and Costco are excellent sources, but my friends here forgot to mention your local bee keeper. I know, Georgia has it's share of them See if you can find one near by. You'll get a better product, and usually cheaper.

Ben

Howdy Uncle Ben,

I think everyone here was just rattling off retailers who carry honey in case you're in a pinch and need some to fill out a batch, or you're just starting and want to minimize costs. Many of us do indeed use local beekeepers as suppliers and others use places like Dutch Gold, Miller's Honey, etc. ScottS is a beekeeper and makes his own mead on his family farm.

In So Cal where I live I've found that the local bee keepers charge considerably more for their honey because they consider it to be of higher quality, which it is, but . . .

Cheers,

Oskaar
    Is it tasty . . . precious?

7. Default Re: Honey Source

Here in Ashland the local Co-op health food store has 3 types local raw honey in casks...you just go and tap however much you need ...
    Prices are about $2.30/pound...is that good?

I think they have Orange Blossom, Local Wildflower...and Clover. Supposedly all organic.

I'm going to pick up the orange blossom tomorrow for my first batch of mead! (ancient orange)

Vicky Rowe Gotmead Visitor

Quote Originally Posted by citation36
    Hello All,
    Thank you Vicky for providing such an invaluable resource.
    Philip Moore
    No worries, Philip! Thanks a lot. I'll keep trying to expand the site and make it more useful....

Vicky

9. Default Re: Honey Source

Quote Originally Posted by gurusan
    Here in Ashland the local Co-op health food store has 3 types local raw honey in casks...you just go and tap however much you need ...
    Prices are about $2.30/pound...is that good?

I think they have Orange Blossom, Local Wildflower...and Clover. Supposedly all organic.

I'm going to pick up the orange blossom tomorrow for my first batch of mead! (ancient orange)

$2.30/lb = $27.60/G . I pay about $24/G, but if it's
    truly quality ... well, it will show in the end product.

I guess the question is, what does the 'organic' label imply
    isn't present, and how much is that worth to ya?