• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Pectic Enzyme Question

Barrel Char Wood Products

maxmurder

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 23, 2012
Bethlehem, Pa.
Yesterday, I put 2.5 tsp of pectic enzymes in my peach mel. The batch is pretty opaque at three months. Of course, I realize it will take extra time for this to clear and for the enzymes to take effect.

I was just wondering, if it does not clear up enough with what I added, is it alright to add more later down the line? Will adding more have any negative effects. It may clear up nicely on its own after a few months, but I just wanted to ask just in case it doesn't. I didn't know if some melomels might require more...

Marshmallow Blue

NewBee
Registered Member
I don't think there's any off flavors with too much pectic enzyme, But note a few things.

1. If the cloudiness is not pectin problem, than pectic enzyme will do nothing.

2. From what I've read, pectic enzyme is inhibited by active fermentation. I don't know if it is permanent but it may be why it didn't work the first round, if it is pectin.

3. It can take a while for it to kick in, but you should notice some clearing as weeks go by. How long ago was it added?

4. If you didn't boil your peaches, it is likely not a pectin issue, as pectin is released while its boiling. This may be just some extra cloudiness form when you added the peaches (Recently if I remember your thread about a peach mel correctly). You probably just need to be patient with this one.

maxmurder

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 23, 2012
Bethlehem, Pa.
I just added it yesterday, so I figured I wouldn't see any results for a while yet. I don't see signs of any further fermentation but did add a touch of potassium sulfites just in case.

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
Well, the theory goes that since it's an enzyme that's not used up, you shouldn't need to add more, it should just keep on doing its thing till it's all done whatever it was going to do.

If it hasn't made a difference in a week, I'd try hitting it with bentonite, and if in a week or two you're not seeing a difference, Sparkolloid. That'd be my solution, although since I almost always use pectic enzyme before fermentation any time I use fruit, I generally assume any haziness in my creations is not a pectin haze.

maxmurder

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 23, 2012
Bethlehem, Pa.
As of right now, it kind of looks like a giant gilato. The peach puree is still all concentrated at the bottom with a very thin lighter layer on top of it with the rest of the liquid on top of that. I don't know if that light layer is the enzymes slowly working (?) This is the first melomel I tried making where I added anything post-fermentation, so I have no idea how it should be looking.
I'm hoping at some point the puree concentration at the bottom will break up?

I did make note of your suggestions. Never heard of Sparkolloid.

Thanks!

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
I use bentonite first because it's easier to do (soak, stir, add), and Sparkolloid is the opposite charge from bentonite but it needs to be heated prior to adding it (at least the package I have says so) so if the bentonite doesn't do the job, I try the sparkolloid.

There are a few good threads around here about what's positively and negatively charged, but now that you describe it, it sounds like your peach purée might be the culprit, there's a lot of fluffy solids and sometimes you need to add something (a flocculant) to make them all stick together so they settle out and compact a little. I had bentonite clear up a cloudy cyser practically overnight and it made great big flocs (yeah, actual technical terms in the water treatment industry ;D) that all settled down to the bottom. Fluffy sediment from purée may just need a lot of time or some refrigeration to compact... how long has it been since you added the purée? How well did you stir it when you added the pectinase?

maxmurder

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 23, 2012
Bethlehem, Pa.
On April 26th, I added the puree and 2 1/2 tsp of potassium sorbate and mixed it pretty well in a plastic fermenter bucket before racking into glass. On April 29th, I added 1/4 tsp of potassium sulfites and 2 1/2 tsp of pectic enzymes.

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
You may just have to wait this one out. You can always siphon some out into a bottle that fits in your fridge and see if regfrigeration speeds the clearing before you try to do the whole batch...

I'd give it a good stir in case the pectinase is doing something weird in layers, then leave it be for a month or two and see where you're at.

Medsen Fey

Fuselier since 2007
Premium Patron
If you didn't heat the fruit, you probably don't have a pectin problem. You can easily test for pectin. Take a tablespoon of you mead and mix with an equal amount of methylated spirits or rubbing alcohol. If pectin is your problem, it will form stringy clumps. If it doesn't you can stop worrying about pectins and give it some time to clear.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

maxmurder

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 23, 2012
Bethlehem, Pa.
Thank you!
I see the top layer of mead is beginning to slowly become less opaque. I will probably test for a pectin problem just in case. I was told by someone that when using puree, the puree will typically just stay on the bottom.

Fisk Jaegaren

NewBee
Registered Member
Time will be your best friend with this. Put the carboy in a closet, top off the air lock and let it set for a month. One of my experimental 1 gal batches last fall wasn't clearing and I dropped 1/2 tsp of pectic enzyme in it, let it set for a month and it became crystal clear in that time.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns