• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Pineapple Melomel

Barrel Char Wood Products

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Has anyone ever done a pineapple melomel?

I found an old recipe (not mine) and I'm thinking of trying it out. I would want to use fresh pineapple rather than just the juice, and I'm not sure about the tea amount or need for the tea.

Here's what I found:

5 Gallon Batch:

10 lbs. clover or wildflower honey
3 gal pineapple juice
3 cups tea
1 packet Champagne yeast,
2 gal water

Boil water for 1/2 hr. Add honey, off the heat, and stir in well.

Add tea. Boil for 20 min. skimming off scum. Cool to 96 degrees F.

Make your yeast starter.

Add pineapple juice to 5 gal carboy, then pour in cooled must.

Pitch yeast.

Use a blow-off tube initially as primary fermentation may be vigorous.

Rack until clear.

Any ideas would be welcome.

Thanks,

Oskaar

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
The six gallon thing should be OK now that I have a #load of 6.5 gallon carboys. But I think I'll up the pineapple content a bit and use fresh stuff instead of canned juice.

I'm cleaning carboys today. . . lot's of carboys! Sheesh!

Oskaar

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
You're treading dangerously into the category of drinks with little umbrellas in them! Don't make me whip out the Beef Jerky Mead and chase you down!

Oskaar

Norskersword

NewBee
Registered Member
May 19, 2004
And force me to drink it? I guess you havn't figured out what to do with your beef jerky mead yet since it's not drinkable. ;D

Norskersword

NewBee
Registered Member
May 19, 2004
horn-suttonhoo-1.jpg

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
I still haven't figured out what's I should do with it. But I've noticed my German Shorthair has been lusting after the Poodle down the street. I could let him take it down the street for her to try!

Of course he's still on restriction from the last party he threw here. I came home early and caught him red handed. See below:

http://207.5.69.177/HRcenter/images/busted.jpg

Also notice in the upper right-hand corner of the picture my St George and the Dragon capped-stein, sitting on a sconce just above my humidor. Mead and Cigars were made for each other!

Oskaar

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Hmmm,

A drinking horn with a cute little pastel parasol in it . . . just what are you trying to say about yourself Norsk?? LOL

That's a pretty funny pic though!

Oskaar

Norskersword

NewBee
Registered Member
May 19, 2004
Yeah I whipped it up for you. ;)

I look at those bottles and think to myself "Wow clean em and use em!"

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
I already have so many bottles I don't know what to do with them all, then I just picked up another 24 carboys at a garage sale so I'm swimming in glassware! And in earthquake country no less.

Oskaar

Norskersword

NewBee
Registered Member
May 19, 2004
I may live an hour away from San Francisco but I would delight in getting 2 of your carboys! That's $40 to me at the brew shop. Next time you are in the area let me know!

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Made and drank it.

I used 71B and a fresh pineapple.

Peeled the pineapple and cut out the core and chopped it into pieces and put the skin and core pieces and into a pot and simmered them for about an hour with some water and raw sugar. About 1/2 cup of sugar and a couple cups of water if I remember right.

I added that and the pineapple to the primary along with some clover honey (3 lbs) and some bottled water to 1 gallon. I gave it about 1/2 tsp of tannin (grape) and 1/4 tsp DAP and followed with the same of Fermaid K two days in. I added some pineapple juice when I racked, and it was done pretty quickly. Drank it at a BBQ at my buddies house. No parasols.

Cheers,

Oskaar

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns