• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

A few questions on stopping fermentation

Barrel Char Wood Products

Noob

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 25, 2014
yeah unless have strong yeast and make rocket fuel, so check yeast tolerance before use this method

edblanford

Premium Patron
Premium Patron
Dec 19, 2010
Salt Lake City, Utah
I started a batch with 71B (12-14%) that had a potential of 16% and had it stop short (about 14%, 1.008 sg) which is where I wanted it. From my experience (limited at best), if all fermentables are added up front (not step fed), the yeast will stop in the neighborhood of their advertised abv. Just sayin.

Midnight Sun

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 13, 2010
Anchorage, Alaska
There are many factors that can influence when yeast stop: nutrients, fermentation temp, quantity of yeast pitched, aeration, acidity, etc. If you treat your yeast well, there is a good chance they will ferment past their ABV. Treat them poorly and they may stop before the listed ABV. Since healthy yeasts = cleaner fermentation, I prefer to treat mine well. For this reason fermenting dry and backsweetening works best for me.

Noob

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 25, 2014
Hunger the yeast!

well, the question i have isbit different than others,

lets say if you want make very low alcoholic drink, usually wine yeast tolerance 12~16% abv

if you put like 7% sugar in start, what will happen to yeast? will they die from hunger or like ninjas keep staying there till more sugar come eventually and start over again?

kudapucat

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 2, 2010
Bundoora, Melbourne, Australia
Ninjas. But sleeping ninjas, who can wake up without warning.
Best bet is, kill them in their sleep (KMeta) and cut their gonads off (sorbate)
How to tell when they're sleeping? They all lie down together (yeast cake in the bottom of carboy)

Noob

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 25, 2014
cool i gonna try this off to make lower abv melomel see how it goes.

i update how it goes.

cheers :cheers:
Ninjas. But sleeping ninjas, who can wake up without warning.
Best bet is, kill them in their sleep (KMeta) and cut their gonads off (sorbate)
How to tell when they're sleeping? They all lie down together (yeast cake in the bottom of carboy)

Noob

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 25, 2014
hmm weird reaction to kmeta

:confused: ok as you mentioned i made my own campden/kmeta powder 1g/440mg Potassium metabisulfite,

my Pomegranate melomel is done dry about 9.5% abv

i had bit issue with clearing out too,

anyway i added to portion of my melomel to test it before add it to my gallon and tnx god i did that :eek:

look what happened when i add it to it
some reaction happened its look like starch in lukewarm water thats best i can describe it!
here is photo perhaps someone explain whats going on im super confused to the core ???
right one is finished melomel left after added the compound!

weird.jpg

ostensibly

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 14, 2013
Ann Arbor, MI
to be clear, you mixed 440mg of potassium metabisulfate with 1 gram of potassium sorbate for the one gallon batch, then added some to the sample? how much did you add? much more than a pinch would probably be too much for what appears to be a small glass.

Noob

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 25, 2014
i disolved it to lukewarm water then try to test it in with portion of my Pom melomel, result is what u c, funny part was it it change color or pom instantly!
as soon it hit the surface of that glass on right it turn that color!.

i wonder now how am i suppose to back sweeten my melomel ???

EJM3

Honey Master
Registered Member
Nov 21, 2013
The Boozevarian Village of Leavenworth WA
That is due to using a large amount of the K-Meta with a small amount of the melomel. I made a rhubarb melomel and when I added the K-Meta it bleached my sample, but I added it to my main batch and it did NOT bleach the entire batch. I even added it at twice the usual dose because of contamination and it still did not bleach my batch.

Noob

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 25, 2014
thanks EJ i gonna try it and pray it don't ruin it i like back sweet it for new year,:-\
i don't like lose that beautiful red color :'( hmm i guess we will findout soon enough.

tnx fr help

Noob

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 25, 2014
my poor pom melomel

:(

ok here is my 1 gallon batch, as u noticed i lost part of my batch due first racking

together_s.jpg

ok on left pic is that sample i add kmeta powder, on right 1 my pom melomel, color changes beyond obvious.
i start added it to my batch, on right side you can see it lost that red color and turn to dark pink cloudy thingy :crybaby2:

is it lost cause or i should let it be any hope my melomel batch :(
w.o kemta all my stuff gonna stay dry and i hate dries :(

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns