• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

First Cider Attempt (log)

Barrel Char Wood Products

Toxxyc

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Dec 21, 2017
Pretoria, South Africa

Valcarion

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 17, 2018
http://www.gotmead.com/forum/showthread.php/27272-First-Cider-Attempt-(log)?p=270039#post270039

See this post of mine. You can also have a look here: http://www.gotmead.com/forum/showth...le-of-questions-and-HI!-)?p=269973#post269973

In short - ferment to bone dry (like, nothing left), backsweeten with a non-fermentable sugar or sweetener and then bottle as normal.

I missed that post on this thread, my bad! Thank you! Have you ever done this with a cider? If so, did you use lactose, and how did it taste?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Toxxyc

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Dec 21, 2017
Pretoria, South Africa
I've never backsweetened anything in my life (no need), but it should be similar to making backsweetened beers. Mangrove Jack's Cider Pouches actually come with a sachet of sweetener to do just this, but they use saccharin, which is a VERY sweet artificial sweetener (about 600 times sweeter than sugar). Read up on the manufacture of milk stouts and backsweetening them to get the base volumes right. IMO it would just liven up your cider and it should be as simple as just adding the sweetener and bottling (like with beers using this method).

Valcarion

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 17, 2018
I've never backsweetened anything in my life (no need), but it should be similar to making backsweetened beers. Mangrove Jack's Cider Pouches actually come with a sachet of sweetener to do just this, but they use saccharin, which is a VERY sweet artificial sweetener (about 600 times sweeter than sugar). Read up on the manufacture of milk stouts and backsweetening them to get the base volumes right. IMO it would just liven up your cider and it should be as simple as just adding the sweetener and bottling (like with beers using this method).

Thank you very much! I think I’ll try stevia this time, as some members of my family are lactose intolerant and I don’t want to exclude them from this batch.

Toxxyc

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Dec 21, 2017
Pretoria, South Africa
Thank you very much! I think I’ll try stevia this time, as some members of my family are lactose intolerant and I don’t want to exclude them from this batch.

Remember that Stevia has a bitter aftertaste, and sometimes isn't sold as 100% stevia, but also has a dextrose or maltodextrin addition to the mix. As you know, those two sugars are fermentable, which spells trouble. Personally, if lactose isn't an option, I would go for Xylitol. Cheap-ish, readily available, very little aftertaste and because it's already an alcohol, it dissolves REALLY easily. Just don't get your dogs to it. Check this page with a good comparison: https://www.thecandidadiet.com/stevia-vs-xylitol/

Valcarion

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 17, 2018
Xylitol is the only non-fermentable sugar that I will use. It tastes like sugar and has no aftertaste. I hate artificial sweeteners. About 3 TBSP per gallon works for me.

There's also the stovetop pasteurization method of killing the yeast with heat once the cider is carbonated. Here's a link -

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/easy-stove-top-pasteurizing-with-pics.193295/

Never had issue with upset stomach or anything like that? I wouldn’t want to compound a hangover with an abrasive substance. Or are we not using enough to cause that sort of issue?

Toxxyc

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Dec 21, 2017
Pretoria, South Africa
Never had issue with upset stomach or anything like that? I wouldn’t want to compound a hangover with an abrasive substance. Or are we not using enough to cause that sort of issue?

You shouldn't be using that much, to be honest. Then again, it'll depend on how much mead you'll be drinking, but essentially a glass or two a day shouldn't do much.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns