• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Obsession

Barrel Char Wood Products

beeboy

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 29, 2004
Port Orange, Florida, USA
I think obsession is setting in, have two 5 gallon batches going right now in different stages. My limiting factor is room, can set up three carboys in the hall closet but need the room that one carboy takes up for bottling supplies. Thinking about brewing gallon batches but know I will be lucky to bottle anything from the gallon runs. I'm even stopping at local farmers markets looking for different honey and telling myself that five dollars a pound really isn't that bad a price ;). When I'm not brewing mead I'm down at the beehive talking to the bees telling them to hurry up and get more honey in ;D. Actually it looks like the bees are doing thier thing, have almost two supers full, just waiting for them to finish capping the comb.

Miriam

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Feb 2, 2005
Pewter_of_Deodar said:
Are passionate people merely those like Miriam, most likely obsessed with those new carboys in the window of the brewshop and yet willing to force herself to look the other way and deny the very innermost carnal cravings to pitch yet another batch, one of that latest recipe she has concocted AND TO DO IT TONIGHT?!?!

Gulp...looks like I've been discovered. Should I hide in shame? Or just come right out of the closet (no room in there anymore anyway, what with all the carboys) and tell the world - "I am a mazer"?

Problem is, I still haven't figured out if I'm a mazer or a mazeress.

Miriam

Brewbear

NewBee
Registered Member
May 10, 2005
How about Lady Mazer? In you case, Miriam, a wonderful story telling lady mazer ;D

Ted

Brewbear

NewBee
Registered Member
May 10, 2005
I just converted one of the spare bedrooms into a mead bulk aging room :-\
Am I obsessed or just passionate?

Ted

Miriam

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Feb 2, 2005
Thank you, Ted. :)

Now Wrathwilde, I kind of like that. (Humming)

"Oh Mazerine
Why cantcha be true?"

The Wine Dybbuk would sing, "Oy, Mazerine..."

I'd better get off of here and go take care of Real Life for a while. ::)

Miriam

Brewbear

NewBee
Registered Member
May 10, 2005
I agree, but Real Life can be such a drag sometimes :-\

Ted - grudgingly going back to real life

Glacierwulf

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 19, 2005
when you look at honey and think "how can i ferment that?" or "what can i ferment that with?"

Dan McFeeley

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Oct 10, 2003
Illinois
hart1a.jpg[img]

Glacierwulf said:
when you look at honey and think "how can i ferment that?" or "what can i ferment that with?"

*Please* tell us you're not looking at mass produced commercial honey, the stuff on grocery store shelves, with those thoughts. ;D ;D ;D

Pewter_of_Deodar

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 23, 2004
Cedar Rapids, IA
beeboy said:
When I'm not brewing mead I'm down at the beehive talking to the bees telling them to hurry up and get more honey in ;D. Actually it looks like the bees are doing thier thing, have almost two supers full, just waiting for them to finish capping the comb.

I hear that if you sing lullabyes to them at night it will help them to be rested for the next day's gathering.... ;D

Pewter_of_Deodar

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 23, 2004
Cedar Rapids, IA
Dan McFeeley said:
hart1a.jpg[img]

Glacierwulf said:
*Please* tell us you're not looking at mass produced commercial honey, the stuff on grocery store shelves, with those thoughts. ;D ;D ;D

I have to confess... the last time I was at Sam's Club, they had a pallet full of 5 pound containers. I stood there for a minute or two trying to decide exactly how many batches that much honey would make and how long it would take me to ferment all of it with my current glass...

My name is Pewter, and I am a mazer...

David Baldwin

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 29, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI
Dan McFeeley said:
hart1a.jpg[img]

Glacierwulf said:

Ouch - I deeply resemble that, and yes I've been guilty of that - recently... But only because I haven't been able to get in contact with my normal bulk supplier... :-[

David

Pewter_of_Deodar

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 23, 2004
Cedar Rapids, IA
beeboy said:
When I'm not brewing mead I'm down at the beehive talking to the bees telling them to hurry up and get more honey in ;D. Actually it looks like the bees are doing thier thing, have almost two supers full, just waiting for them to finish capping the comb.

Have you hugged your hive today? ::) ::) ::)

Sigmund Von Meader

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 9, 2005
Pewter_of_Deodar said:
beeboy said:

Have you hugged your hive today? ::) ::) ::)

How interesting. Beeboy is looking to the old European custom of "telling the bees."

I think even the good Carl Gustav doesn't have an archetype for this. Complex? Maybe, maybe not. ;-)

Dmntd

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 18, 2005
I obsess, therefor I am ;D

Demented One

I have the heart of a little girl...

It sit in a jar on my desk

R

RiffRaff

Pewter_of_Deodar said:
Dan McFeeley said:
hart1a.jpg[img]

Glacierwulf said:

I have to confess... the last time I was at Sam's Club, they had a pallet full of 5 pound containers. I stood there for a minute or two trying to decide exactly how many batches that much honey would make and how long it would take me to ferment all of it with my current glass...

My name is Pewter, and I am a mazer...

I went over to a local beekeepers to pick up some honey the other night and he stacks and stacks of 5 gallon buckets of honey for sale and I started doing the same thing. LOL

Pewter_of_Deodar

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 23, 2004
Cedar Rapids, IA
Just a quick question to everyone...

How many gallons of honey do you have in your place right now ready to be made into mead?

*testing new "honey as the measure of obsession" level theory*

andrew_buhl

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 27, 2005
Currently 10 gallons in 2 pails. Giving serious consideration to ordering a 45 gallon drum

R

RiffRaff

2 Gallons sitting in kitchen ready for my next batch of mead and it's driving me crazy seeing them sitting there... I already have 4 six gallon batches and 2 one gallon batches bubbling away and no free carboys to make more... :(

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns