• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Pectic Enzyme

Barrel Char Wood Products

fatbloke

good egg/snappy dresser.....
GotMead Patron
Either.....

Normally, if you can, its best to use it with the fruit before fermentation. Once theres some alcohol involved, then its doubled, so depending on the instructions but the stuff I get is 1 tsp per gallon or two tsp per gallon if fermented.

Its also helpful to use it in advance as it helps with colour and flavour extraction too......

fatbloke

GotMead Patron
I have never heard of pectic acid used in brewing. What exactly is it's function?
Pectic enzyme, not acid.

And as McJ points out (in reverse), it's primary purpose is to metabolise any pectins that might come from any fruit ingredient used.

It's also used as it can help with flavour and colour extraction.

It's effect is reduced by the presence of alcohol, which is why it's recommended to be used on the fruit before fermentation, but it still works on the fruit/juice etc, after the fermentation but the dose is doubled.

McJeff

NewBee
Registered Member
May 17, 2013
Farmington, Maine
Yeah I've never used it before, didn't care what the mead looked like. But I'm curious now. Have a 2g pineapple/mango 3 weeks in I'm goin to try it on when I rack it.

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
I use it for any wine or mead I make that contains fruit (except JAO's, they generally don't have enough fruit for it to matte). 1/2 tsp per gallon 24 hours before I pitch, it can help release the juices from mashed fruit so you have a more accurate starting SG by the time you pitch. The only time I used it after fermentation was for a JAO variation where I added a lot more citrus fruit, and it wouldn't clear no matter what I added so I finally added some pectinase and it cleared within a week or two.

capoeirista13

Honey Master
Registered Member
Aug 17, 2008
Philadelphia
When do you use this stuff, initial fermentation, seconday? how much do you use say per gallon of mead?

I have a pectic enzyme experiment in the patrons section I believe, but I'm not a patron anymore so I can't access it to give you any info (or even the thread title) from it. Do a search and see if you can find it.

Basically the enzyme has a reduced effect in the presence of alcohol and it takes far longer to achieve the same clarity. Also putting in the enzyme in pre-fermentation, during fermentation, and post-fermentation alter the flavor differently - it's not just a clarity thing.

McJeff

NewBee
Registered Member
May 17, 2013
Farmington, Maine
I have a pectic enzyme experiment in the patrons section I believe, but I'm not a patron anymore so I can't access it to give you any info (or even the thread title) from it. Do a search and see if you can find it.

Basically the enzyme has a reduced effect in the presence of alcohol and it takes far longer to achieve the same clarity. Also putting in the enzyme in pre-fermentation, during fermentation, and post-fermentation alter the flavor differently - it's not just a clarity thing.

ill look it up ty

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
Take a taste of the pectinase... I don't find it tastes like much, and there's nothing I can pick out in any of my wines or mels that screams out "This is what pectinase tastes like!", even the one where I did have to add some after fermentation so I added a double dose. I'm really not sure if there's any other way to remove it, other than encouraging it to clump and settle out but I'm pretty sure that requires heating. And probably a fining agent.

capoeirista13

Honey Master
Registered Member
Aug 17, 2008
Philadelphia
Will I ruin a flavor or add a bad taste to a mead that had already fermented?

In my experience (noted in the thread I mentioned earlier) there is a flavor change when adding pectinase but it isn't because there's any pectinase left in the solution or anything, it is because it drops the pectin out of the solution. It will not ruin the flavor, or add any new (or bad) flavors. It will probably just taste a bit different, perhaps 'thinner.'

also is there a diff way to clear fruit pectin from a mead that has already fermented?

I am not sure, but I would look into what the different clarifying agents bind to, and see if any of them bind to pectin. I really don't think you have anything to worry about with adding the pectinase though.

McJeff

NewBee
Registered Member
May 17, 2013
Farmington, Maine
I ordered some, seems pointless to not use the stuff when it so easy and helps so much.

Slowly adding to my brewing skills and tricks. Ty guys

fatbloke

GotMead Patron
Now see I'm gonna disagree with capoeirista13 on that. The pectin doesn't seem to taste of anything, like most gelling agents.

The pectolase metabolises it so it can't clump together creating the cloudiness. Plus helping with the extraction of colour/flavour presumably, is because of what it does when its still an integral part of the fruit (don't quote me on that, its just me presuming out loud).

So apart from traditionals and JAO I put it in all fruit batches, usually before any fermentation and when ive sulphited the fruit initially.....

There doesn't, IMO, appear to be a downside to using it, while there is if you dont.....

capoeirista13

Honey Master
Registered Member
Aug 17, 2008
Philadelphia
Now see I'm gonna disagree with capoeirista13 on that. The pectin doesn't seem to taste of anything, like most gelling agents.

Make two identical batches, use enzyme on one and not on the other. Tell me if you find a flavor difference. I did that and I found a flavor difference.

McJeff

NewBee
Registered Member
May 17, 2013
Farmington, Maine
Does pectin enzyme inhibite fermentation? I've used it twice in the last week and fermentation has taken significantly longer to start. When it has started, its noticably less vigerous with less head foam.

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
Does pectin enzyme inhibite fermentation? I've used it twice in the last week and fermentation has taken significantly longer to start. When it has started, its noticably less vigerous with less head foam.

Not that I'm aware of... Might just have been those batches? Definitely would be an interesting thing to note if you do manage a side-by-side comparison.

capoeirista13

Honey Master
Registered Member
Aug 17, 2008
Philadelphia

I did not notice it inhibiting fermentation in my experiment.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns