• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Trippel a dubbel??

Barrel Char Wood Products

Welshie

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 13, 2013
Sidney, Ohio
Just brewed a Brewers Best Belgian Trippel kit and I am confused. I was under the impression that this kit was to produce a pale straw colored beer and instead I have a carboy full of brown, malty looking beer. I allowed it almost 4 weeks to possibly settle out but to no avail. This beer quite frankly looks more like a Dubbel and less like a Trippel. Any input as to what is happening here? Thanks!

P.S.-the instructions were followed to the letter, O.G. was on the nose, and F.G. was on the dot as well. Sanitary measures were observed religiously and temps were to the degree. I have made two other kits prior to this, each with great results.

EJM3

Honey Master
Registered Member
Nov 21, 2013
The Boozevarian Village of Leavenworth WA
Bit late, but I was learning about beer when this was posted, so here goes:

Some Belgian tripels are dark, they were apparently named "Superbier" or "Überbier" first, then got renamed tripels by one or more of the Trappist monasteries a couple centuries ago...

How'd it turn out?? Any good tasting notes??

zofoandrew

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 25, 2015
Troy, MI
Extract beers come out significantly darker than you want in a lot of cases. If it tastes like a tripel and smells like a tripel, its pretty much a tripel

Mazer828

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 9, 2015
Inland Empire
Go buy a few different tripels off the shelf at BevMo or whatever you have locally. You'll see a big difference between them. Any of several different factors can change the outcome, including color grade and amount of malt extract used, type and amount of specialty grains, and length and temperature of boil.

One T

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Mar 22, 2015
Davenport, Iowa
It could also depend on the size of your boil kettle. If you are doing less than a full volume boil, the sugars will be more concentrated and will "caramelize" making the beer darker.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns