• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Interesting Food Recipes

Barrel Char Wood Products

Wijnand

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 17, 2012
Madrid, Spain
Heston Blumenthal does indeed, produce some amazing recipes, concoctions etc, but, most of us don't have the kind of finances provided by a couple of 3 star Michelin restraunts and successful TV programmes do we.

dunno about you, but I'd have no idea where to get the liquid nitrogen to try the 30 second ice cream recipe/method..........

Oh, and I understand that the waiting list for a table at one of his restraunts is hideous. And you'd need to take out a mortgage just for the "tasting menu" range of stuff at the Fat Duck.

Don't be a downer :p Sure you can do some substitutes here and there and make it affordable ;) Recipes are just a guideline, you don't have to follow them to the letter.

As for the liquid nitrogen: do you have a mate that works in a lab or perhaps a chem plant? ;) (I can't seem to find a tongue-in-cheek smiley though.)

@TheAlchemist: Fine, insprired on... :)

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
Syllabub's on the list.... it's just a very long list, and new stuff keeps jumping queue...

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
So the marinade is 1/2 cup each of sugar, salt, fruit or wine vinegar and a few spoons of what was the last ingredient? (yay for knowing enough French to muddle through most of the rest!)

Noe Palacios

Aristaeus' Apprentice
GotMead Patron
So the marinade is 1/2 cup each of sugar, salt, fruit or wine vinegar and a few spoons of what was the last ingredient? (yay for knowing enough French to muddle through most of the rest!)

Papain - an enzyme from Papaya. It tenderizes meat during cooking. You can use few 2 onces of crushed pineaples instead papain, but I prefer papain because it doesn't add any flavor and pineaple does.

Saludos,

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
Cool, thanks, Noe!

So I had a craving for rhubarb crisp when I don't have enough rhubarb on hand... I realized I had enough for rhubarb upside-down cake, but I want to share it later as cupcakes so we don't need forks and plates... so I put the finely sliced rhubarb into a white cake (5 Roses Flour standard white cake recipe) batter with a little added brown sugar and cinnamon, then put it in my silicone muffin cups, then mixed some butter, cinnamon, brown sugar and oats and sprinkled that on top. So we'll see if my rhubarb crisp cupcakes are any good when they come out of the oven. Worst case scenario, nobody else likes them and I freeze some for work lunches :)

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns