• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Removing Labels

Barrel Char Wood Products

TAKeyser

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 4, 2012
Detroit, MI
Cleaning up the messes we all seem to have with empty bottles overflowing in basements and garages got mentioned recently in THIS THREAD.

I mentioned that I was trying to de-label a batch of free bottles I collected and I had some extremely stubborn glue that soaking, scrubbing and Goo-Gone just did not want to get rid of. Well, I found the solution to this sticky situation today..."Oven Off Max" worked like a charm!!!! It's the fume free no heat variety and I sprayed it on let it sit for an hour and got out a sponge with the rough stuff on one side (the same kind of sponge that didn't want to work with the Goo-Gone) and the sticky glue came right off. So happy these 2 cases of bottles could be salvaged :)

TAKeyser

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 4, 2012
Detroit, MI
get all but a few off with oxy-clean soaking overnight

I haven't gotten to all the free cases yet, but the 2 cases of Villa Chambre D'Amour are being stubborn as hell. The first 4 cases I cleaned went smoothly, but damn these damn these bottles.

Last edited:

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
Scraping with knife doesn't help? Argh, nothing's more frustrating than labels that won't come off!

I read on another forum that a few people slather hand cream all over the labels and let it soak in, then they come right off... I haven't tried this because it sounds even messier than Goo-Gone. Others (I think from this forum) have put the bottles in the oven to melt the stubborn adhesive... I use a stainless steel scrubby (thank you Amway!) for the really stubborn ones but I don't like doing it often because it gunks up the scrubby and I've only got one more after this one's done, although most of it will come out if I put the scrubby in the dishwasher.

fatbloke

good egg/snappy dresser.....
GotMead Patron
Well, I just soak overnight, in a soap/water/bleach solution.

The "animal" glued labels seem to just slide off and the glue rinses away with a bit more soap.

If the glue used is more of a "self adhesive" type that's likely come from automated continuous labelling machinery, then a craft blade sorts the paper, then I try a plastic scourer on the glue.

If that fails and gums the scourer to much/quickly, then I just dry the bottles, then use "Preptone", which is a hexane based solvent from the "car spiving" industry, designed for removing stickers or decals from a painted metal surface without damaging the paint or laquered surface.

Never failed so far.

Screen printed on glass labelling, might be different and those bottles get recycled....

wayneb

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Well, I found the solution to this sticky situation today..."Oven Off Max" worked like a charm!!!! It's the fume free no heat variety and I sprayed it on let it sit for an hour and got out a sponge with the rough stuff on one side (the same kind of sponge that didn't want to work with the Goo-Gone) and the sticky glue came right off. So happy these 2 cases of bottles could be salvaged :)

Do you mean Easy Off Oven Max? That's the fume free, slightly lemon scented no-heat oven cleaner that also does an excellent job of scrubbing off the scum from our shower stall. If that's the stuff, I've gotta try it on bottles with stubborn labels!

TAKeyser

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 4, 2012
Detroit, MI
Do you mean Easy Off Oven Max? That's the fume free, slightly lemon scented no-heat oven cleaner that also does an excellent job of scrubbing off the scum from our shower stall. If that's the stuff, I've gotta try it on bottles with stubborn labels!

Yeah that's the stuff!!! Worked like a charm, I peeled as much of the label off as I could than I sprayed it on let it sit for an hour and scrubbed it off with one of those rough sponges (sponge on one side, green rough stuff on the other) and it worked great.

I'm going to have to try it on the glass shower door now :D I hate cleaning that thing.

wayneb

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
I'm going to have to try it on the glass shower door now :D I hate cleaning that thing.

Spray it on with the door completely dry since water deactivates the chemical (which is why you clean it up with water). You might have to set the door down horizontally to keep the chemical from sliding off before it has a chance to do its work. I've only used it on the base of our shower, where it works wonderfully.

TAKeyser

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 4, 2012
Detroit, MI
Spray it on with the door completely dry since water deactivates the chemical (which is why you clean it up with water). You might have to set the door down horizontally to keep the chemical from sliding off before it has a chance to do its work. I've only used it on the base of our shower, where it works wonderfully.

Anything that makes life easier is a great thing.

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
How many bottles per container of cleaner are you getting done?

Inquiring minds want to know :) This sounds like an acceptable solution for those really frigging annoying labels!

And what can you do about the screened-on-glass stuff, anything? Such a shame to have to recycle some of those otherwise nice bottles.

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
I use the edge of a spoon, sometimes the curve fits about right. And I don't have to worry about impaling myself.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns