• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

TOSNA development

Barrel Char Wood Products

HoneyHobby

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Registered Member
Jun 27, 2023
Hot Springs, AR
I’m looking for more information on how TOSNA was developed, or more specifically, the science behind the recommended 1g per gallon yeast quantity that is recommended. I’ve searched the web and several mead sites, but haven’t found anything describing how they arrived at the recommended rate.
I typically override the recommendation and go with 2-3g/gal with pretty good results but my meads typically blow right past the 1/3 break addition. I decided to back off and go with the recommended addition for a bochet cyser (1.096 OG) that I started last night, but I’m not seeing any activity yet and am concerned I may get some unwanted results from pitching too small of a yeast starter. (Maybe this is normal for the lower addition)
Can someone point me to a source for this info?
Many thanks in advance!

Reactions: darigoni
Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns