• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Total New brewer here

Barrel Char Wood Products

WRATHWILDE

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Mar 19, 2005
Dubuque, Iowa
www.zazzle.com
Just a goofy counter too Oskaar's <------------ Tents his fingers Monty Burns style. "Excellent!"

Keanu Reeves... Blank Stare?!? Surely you jest, He's an actor of incredible range and comprehension as seen in Much Ado About Nothing, surpassed in believability of Character only by the incomparable Tom Cruise. ::)

Wrathwilde

Norskersword

NewBee
Registered Member
May 19, 2004
irishoneme said:
Welcome to the show! It's so true that the old bank account takes a hit every time you wander too close to the brew shop. Every time for me, it's just another carboy or "do we need more yeast?". Anyway, embrace your new addiction and commune with your support group here regularly.

This is really true for me. Especially since the brewshop is just down the street from me!

I bought 60 lbs of honey I was planning to save and use in moderation. Man was I naive. It's a bit like leaving a bucket of cocaine in the care of a cocaine addict and saying "Use in moderation!"

jab

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 15, 2004
radiofreeomaha.net
Wrathwilde said:
Wrathwilde in his best Keanu Reeves impersonation... Excellent

Dude! You forgot something.

jab in his best Keanu Reeves impersonation... Excellent
[performs short air guitar solo]

There. Much better.

V

VigridPlains5

So, my mead has been brewing happily along for about 2 and a half weeks now and all of a sudden my fermentations has stopped. I have no bubbling in the carboy as well as no bubbling in my airlock. I took a Hydrometer reading and my SG came out to 1.060. Should I rack to my second carboy, if so , what should I do to get my mead fermenting again? Also, would it be beneficial to rack on to some fresh dried cherries and a little more honey?
-Cody

byathread

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 8, 2005
Boulder County, CO
Sounds like you're short on nutrients or your pH has dropped low enough to stall fermentation.

The more experienced may have better advice, but I would recommend adding some yeast hulls or other nutrient and give it a stir. That and check your pH.

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
I see you're using bread yeast. It may be that your yeasties have reached their tolerance. You can add some nutrient as mentioned below, and give it a good stir that should kick something up.

But, if it doesn't I wouldn't be surprised. Bread yeast isn't really a go getter when it comes to vigorous fermentations without nutrient supplements, and generaly carries a fairly low ABV tolerance from what I remember.

Hope that helps,

Oskaar

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns