PDA

View Full Version : How many batches?

scout
09-29-2005, 09:00 AM
I was trying to work out whether I was going to need to buy more carboys last night, and I was just wondering how many batches everyone tends to have working at any particular time. So, how many batches do you have fermenting right now, and what size are they? Meaning stuff that is still in a carboy, or other fermentation vessel, hasn't been bottled yet.

Me, I have three 1 gallon batches right now, but am planning on starting 3 more next month, and I have some plans for November, too so I will prolly have to buy some more jugs at that time.

Miriam
09-29-2005, 09:26 AM
11 assorted fruit wines and meads in 1-gallon carboys
3 ditto in 2-gallon carboys
3 Merlot wine in 2-gallon carboys
1 Merlot pyment in a 2-gallon carboy

The 2-gallon size is the biggest I can handle; if I want more of one thing I have to split it up among several carboys. So I actually have 16 varieties of wine going, although the carboys add up to 18.

If I had more carboys free, I'd be brewing more. ;D

Miriam

memento
09-29-2005, 10:21 AM
I have 1 5 gallon and 1 1 gallon of sweet vanilla mead, 5 gallons of traditional dry that I will be putting oak in soon, and 5 gallons of peach cinnamon. I have 1 5 gallon carboy on order that I'll be using to rack the peach, then I'll do a cinnamon cyser in that carboy. The vanilla is cleared and bulk aging. The peach is clearing nicely.

Like miriam, I will make as much as I have carboys for! I still have 30 pounds of honey to use.

Dmntd
09-29-2005, 10:22 AM
At this time,
3 gal. Spiced Coffee - fermenting, 3 gal. Tupelo Varietal - aging, 3 gal. purple sage - aging, 1 gal. Black Corinth Pyment - aging. 4 - 6 gal., 1 - 3 gal. carboys, 3 - 1 gal. jugs & about a dozen buckets from 2 - 7 gal. not in use.

The most I've had going at one time, 24 gallons.

I prefer to have at least 1 empty carboy for every 2 full. I often make / start 3 or 4 meads at a time, it's a real pain having to rack a mead & clean the carboy so you can rack into it.

Anthony

Pewter_of_Deodar
09-29-2005, 11:24 AM
At this time...
10 gallons Blackberry Wine (aging)
5 gallons Red Raspberry Wine (aging)
5 gallons Red Raspberry Melomel (aging)
5 gallons Ancient Orange (aging)
5 gallons Blueberry Wine (4th ferment) - just keeps going
5 gallons Chocolate Mead (2nd ferment)
6 gallons Blueberry Wine (primary ferment)
6 gallons Blackberry Wine (primary ferment)
6 gallons Christmas Metheglin (primary ferment) - started last night

I should soon be pitching...
2 or 3 x 6 gallons Show Mead
6 gallons Christmas Metheglin
2 x 6.5 gallons Christmas Cyser
6 gallons Apple Wine
6 gallons Progressive Grape Wine (using already pressed grapes)
6 gallons Progressive Grape Pyment (using already pressed grapes)
6 gallons Vanilla Metheglin

So I am keeping out of trouble... and anxiously awaiting the next installment of Miriam's tale... *ahem* hint... hint... ::) ::) ::)

My limitation is the bigger carboys of which I have two 6.5 gallon and four 6 gallon... I have a bunch of 5 gallons waiting to age the existing batches in as well as 8 refurbished corney kegs I can use to age in... So the primary fermentations have to be progressed to the point where I can rack them into the smaller carboys for aging...

HomeBrew
09-29-2005, 11:31 AM
Dmntd's rule of 1 empty vessel for every two full is a pretty good one. You may want to think about increasing your "perfected" batch sizes to 5 gallons in order to cut down on the overall number of runs.

I have enough glass carboys, plastic fermenters and corny kegs to have 6-8 batches going at any one time, but three at a time is my unofficial limit...Anymore than that and I feel like I don't give each batch enough "special attention". This rule does not apply if I am producing a batch following a "tried and true" recipe (requires less attention). None of my batches are less than 5 gallon and my yearly production of beer+mead varies from 20 gallons to 100 gallons depending on time available and whether or not I am supplying special events (okay, parties).

What's going on now:
1 batch of sparkling raspberry melomel - in the bottle and conditioning
1 batch of orange-ginger melomel - just bottled this week
1 batch of ancient orange - still in the carboy (maybe 3 weeks from bottling)
1 batch of morat - still in the primary and 2 weeks out from mulberry addition

Plans for the rest of 2005:
1 batch of Saisson (extract) - to be started in October
1 batch of Schwarzbier (extract) - to be started in November
1 batch of hard cider - to be started in October as well

I am also in the process of planning my 2006 batches. I use a lot of fresh picked, wild berries and like to plan the fermentations around picking times so that the fruit spends minimal time in the freezer.

Peace.

Angus
09-29-2005, 11:40 AM
New into this, so I only have -

5 gal Ancient Orange (per recipe)
1 gal Ancient Orange (k1 yeast) - 3/4 of a gal by now due to impatient 'friend'
5 gal Antipodal Mead (see Brewlog)
2 x 1 gal Hibiscus Mead

Will be starting in couple of weeks -

1 gal Orange Blossom Show Mead
1 gal Wild Flower Show Mead

I feel I want to get as many batches going as my basement will hold to catch up on the years missed. So many recipes, so little time :'(.

Pewter_of_Deodar
09-29-2005, 11:54 AM
Angus,

This impatient "friend" you keep mentioning... Does he look a lot like you? Maybe your evil twin or something? ;D

With a grin,
Pewter

jaysbrew
09-29-2005, 12:05 PM
I currently have 26 fermenters going - split about evenly between 3 gal and 5 gal. Several blueberry; a raspberry; a cyser; a maple; a few traditionals using tupelo, tulep poplar, alfalfa, and mesquite; a sprinkling of meth's.

I dread bottling these so I too have an evil twin who keeps sucking some out of the fermenters.... ;D

Cheers,
Jay

Mynx
09-29-2005, 12:13 PM
I'm stepping up production now that the weather is cooler (pouring rain today) ... right now I have:

1 - 5 gallon Blackberry
1 - 1 gallon Blackberry (really just for topping up the other, but it's under airlock right now)

Planned for the next couple weeks:

1 - 5 gallon (total, will be more at first of course) Crabapple cyser (making for a friend's parents)
1 - 6.5 gallon Vanilla (I need to buy this carboy still)
1- 5 gallon (total) Xmas spice meth (cinnamon/clove/nutmeg)
1 - 5 gallon Pumpkin Ale (extract)
1 - 5 gallon Oatmeal Stout (I have to make this every time I brew)

I am slightly limited by space however, as all my meads and beers go in a corner of our apartment, so I tend to only have 1-2 meads and 1-2 beer on the go at any given time...this set coming up will be the most I've had going ever, lol.

Hey, HB, mind sharing your Saisson recipe? :)

Oskaar
09-29-2005, 12:19 PM
Lemme see here:

Underway in various stages of fermentation:
12 gal dry mead - traditional - buckwheat, sage, mesquite
12 gal sweet mead - traditional - wildflower, mesquite, orange blossom
12 gal semi-dry mead - traditional - buckwheat, wildflower, mesquite
6 gal sweet mead - traditional - wildflower, buckwheat
6 gal cider - semi-dry
6 gal Irish-Red Honey Ale
1 gal Croatian Acacia (False Locust) Sweet mead - Show

Aging:
6 gal Cyser - Mutiny on the Bounty
6 gal Cyser - New Year
10 gal sweet mead - traditional - Orange Blossom
6 gal Zinfandel
6 gal Rose
5 gal yeast tests (1 gal each)

Planned:
Pomegranate melomel
More sweet, dry and semi-dry traditional meads.
More melomels depending on what's available at a good price.

Cheers,

Oskaar

HomeBrew
09-29-2005, 12:48 PM
Mynx,

I plan to follow the recipe from the book Radical Brewing by Randy Mosher. If you don't have it already, this is a great book. If you don't have the book, or access to it, let me know and I will post a reprint. (I am at work now, so I don't have the book handy.)

The only thing that I plan to change from the printed recipe is the hop rate. I believe that the hop quantities listed are for a full 5 gallon, all-grain boil. Since I will be doing the extract version with a 2.5 to 3 gallon boil, the quantities will be increased slightly. The hop balance in Saissons is pretty delicate, so I hope that I get it right.

Peace.

Mynx
09-29-2005, 01:29 PM
Yeah I havent had a chance to get any books yet (bad me!) ... Radical Brewing and the Compleat Meadmaker are on the list tho.

TIA for posting it :D

Angus
09-29-2005, 01:42 PM
Pewter,

He's never around when I'm there. Heard he's a handsome guy though! 8)

Angus

byathread
09-29-2005, 01:58 PM
IIRC,
5 gal - Dry, oaked Orange Blossom - traditional
5 gal - Sweet Sage Blossom - show
5 gal - Trippel
5 gal - Saison
1 gal - Date melomel
1 gal - Raspberry Vanilla
1 gal - Cherry mel
1 gal - Sweet cyser
1 gal - Dry, oaked cyser
1 gal - Avocado blossom show mead
1 gal - Heather braggot
1 gal - Cinnamon-vanilla
1 gal - ??? 1 more that I can't remmeber at the moment

All further batches are on hold while I prepare to move in a few weeks.

Pewter_of_Deodar
09-29-2005, 04:03 PM
IIRC,
5 gal - Dry, oaked Orange Blossom - traditional
5 gal - Sweet Sage Blossom - show
5 gal - Trippel
5 gal - Saison
1 gal - Date melomel
1 gal - Raspberry Vanilla
1 gal - Cherry mel
1 gal - Sweet cyser
1 gal - Dry, oaked cyser
1 gal - Avocado blossom show mead
1 gal - Heather braggot
1 gal - Cinnamon-vanilla
1 gal - ??? 1 more that I can't remmeber at the moment

All further batches are on hold while I prepare to move in a few weeks.

You know... Angus' evil twin, Oskaar, and I would be glad to create a situation where you did not have as much (or even any) alcohol to move...

Oskaar
09-29-2005, 04:08 PM
Oskaar <----------- Dusting off the humonga-stein to drink some of byathread's mead because I would hate to see him hurt himself lifting those carboys for the move ;)

Angus
09-29-2005, 04:14 PM
Evil is as evil does! Please send address.

Oskaar
09-29-2005, 04:18 PM
Life is a box of evil chocolates, you never know what you'll get . . . I like the dark evil chocolate with the deviled cherry filling.

storm1969
09-29-2005, 04:35 PM
Let's see:

10 gallons peach wine, waiting to be bottled
6 gallons cranberry wine, 3 gallons waiting to be sweetened, 3 to bottle
6 gallons orange bloosom semi-sweet mead, aging.
5 gallons semi-dry orange blosoom, oaked mead, aging.
8 gallons Blueberry wine, ageing
6 gallons Blueberry mead, ageing
12 gallons Sangiovese, ageing
10 gallons Val-de-pena, ageing
6 gallons Syrah/Zinfandell, ageing
8 gallons Strawberry Mead, ageing
3 gallons Vanilla mead, in secondary
24 gallons Cabernet Sauvignon, just pressed into secondary
4 gallons pyment, in primary

I think that's all... I'd have to go down and check to make sure...

Brian

WRATHWILDE
09-29-2005, 04:40 PM
Let's see:

10 gallons peach wine, waiting to be bottled
6 gallons cranberry wine, 3 gallons waiting to be sweetened, 3 to bottle
6 gallons orange bloosom semi-sweet mead, aging.
5 gallons semi-dry orange blosoom, oaked mead, aging.
8 gallons Blueberry wine, ageing
6 gallons Blueberry mead, ageing
12 gallons Sangiovese, ageing
10 gallons Val-de-pena, ageing
6 gallons Syrah/Zinfandell, ageing
8 gallons Strawberry Mead, ageing
3 gallons Vanilla mead, in secondary
24 gallons Cabernet Sauvignon, just pressed into secondary
4 gallons pyment, in primary

total 108 gallons... I guess there are advantages to being married.

Wrathwilde

abejita
09-29-2005, 04:47 PM
I only make one gallon batches:

1. Wildflower honey + rose +vanilla. Dry.
2. Coffee blossom honey. Will probably be dry. I started this one before I knew anything about yeast strains and used Premier Cuvée.
3. Cyser w/blackberry honey + spices. Sweet.

Planned: sweet pomegranate, sweet coffee blossom show, sassafrass/buckwheat honey.

storm1969
09-29-2005, 04:56 PM
total 108 gallons... I guess there are advantages to being married.

Wrathwilde

Can't seem to hit that 200 gallon mark! (actually, this is by far the most I have ever had going at one time before!)

And actually, I believe that is the amount you can start in a year. Only about 50% of that was started this year.

Brian

scout
09-29-2005, 05:30 PM
Thank you, abejita for posting yours! I was starting to feel waaaay unproductive with my 3 little gallons. *grins* All of you do so much (and some of you in apartments!) I'm impressed, and a little awed. When I first read that you could legally brew 200 gallons a year, I thought - there is NO WAY I'll ever brew that much, much less DRINK that much. And thanks to you enablers, I now have visions of fermentations running through my head all the time - Pumpkin Wine, Coffee Mead, Hard Lemonade - YUM!!! *big grins* So am I the only woman here who has to worry about her husband throwing her out because of how much she is brewing (as opposed to the other way around, which I have heard bemoaned many a time)??? *grins*

abejita
09-29-2005, 05:43 PM
So am I the only woman here who has to worry about her husband throwing her out because of how much she is brewing (as opposed to the other way around, which I have heard bemoaned many a time)??? *grins*

My partner and I both come from the punk scene, with the whole do it yourself ethic. So he's really good about me having a hobby that creates something. I'd rather buy honey from a small time, reputable farmer than buy alcohol from an industry that I don't always feel so good about. Also, wines and liquors are so incredibly taxed. Homebrewing means less money to the government.

I admit I wish I had more space to do some five gallon batches. But, honestly, I'm a small person and the sheer size and weight of those bigger carboys seems unmanageable to me.

intothefray
09-29-2005, 05:58 PM
5 Gal of Blueberry Melomel

Just started hobby though because in middle of divorce.. I'm sure I'll be up to 3+ at a time in a month or two. Still seems pathetic compared to your lists.

Mynx
09-29-2005, 06:00 PM
So am I the only woman here who has to worry about her husband throwing her out because of how much she is brewing (as opposed to the other way around, which I have heard bemoaned many a time)Huh *grins*

Not this woman, hahah...my boy loves that I brew etc. My only constraint is where to keep it. And brewing beer when he's out...he's got a sensitive nose and the smell of the hops boiling etc is too much for him!

Fedelm Dub
09-29-2005, 10:19 PM
I have a 1 gallon batch of Joe's Ancient Orange that is a month away from being finished, and last week, I bottled my first mead, a 5 gallon batch. I'm planning on more batches after Great Western War. Maybe a wildflower mead or melomel of some kind. I also may do another beer during that time. My 2 glass carboys are 5 gallons each, and I might get another one so I can have more than batches going at the same time.

Meriadoc
09-29-2005, 10:42 PM
hmm... let's see...

in secondary/aging:

5-gal japanese knotweed traditional mead
5-gal of schramm's "mambo in your mouth" melomel (which i refer to as my "mambo mel")
3-gal clover traditional
1-gal wildflower blueberry mel
1-gal wildflower rainier cherry mel
1.5-gal wildflower traditional
1-gal clover w/ OJ and ginger
1-gal clover w/ black cherry

in primary:

5-gal of recently-pressed merlot, just waiting to become my first merlot mel
8 gallons of mixed grape skins, waiting to have some orange blossom honey added for a second-pressing grape mead (not really a pyment, since there isn't really any "grape juice" there

and, of course, 2 liters or so of my very first (ever) batch of mead, that was started last february and just started coming into its own earlier this summer...

and the last half of my first batch of beer (which, unless i'm mistaken, is calling out plaintively to me *right* *now*...!)

still just evil thoughts in my mind, waiting to happen:

a 5-gal batch of orange blossom traditional (maybe late october?)
a 5-gal batch of wheat beer (this weekend, maybe?)
a 5-gal batch of oatmeal stout (maybe in a couple of weeks)

man... i gotta get outta this house sometime before the weather changes... ;) ;D

on the other hand... if i really apply myself, i might just be able to hit my 100-gal limit by december! :D

Miriam
09-30-2005, 05:36 AM
I brew a lot, but my husband doesn't drink a drop of it. Or anything else with alcohol in it, for he takes medications that clash with booze. He doesn't just tolerate my hobby, though - he's happy I'm doing something I enjoy. Every time I tell people this, I appreciate him more. :D

Miriam

scout
09-30-2005, 09:54 AM
Yeah, my husband's kind of like that too, Miriam - like when he and my Dad got together last holiday season and got me a kiln for my beadmaking. Although he likes my beads, and appreciates them, I would be hard pressed to get him to wear one. *grins* Ain't it nice when you realize you really did get a good one?

Miriam
09-30-2005, 10:31 AM
Sure is.

Miriam

HomeBrew
09-30-2005, 08:49 PM
Mynx,

Here is the Saisson recipe (extract) as it is written:

Malts -
1.6 kg Pale DME
1.1 kg Munich Malt
0.45 kg Malted Wheat
0.45 kg Piloncillo (partial refined sugar)

Hops -
28 g Northern Brewer (60 minutes)
43 g Saaz (30 minutes)
57 g Kent Goldings (5 minutes)

Spices (added to last 5 minutes of boil) -
19 g Indian Coriander
Zest of 1 Seville orange or zest of 1 orange + zest from 1/4 grapefruit
1g grains of paradise or black pepper (coarsely crushed)

Yeast -
Belgian Ale Yeast (recommend Wyeast 3724 or White Labs WLP 565)

Good luck!

Mynx
09-30-2005, 08:51 PM
Cheers man, looks tasty!

/adds it to the list

Brewbear
10-01-2005, 11:41 AM
Hi HB,
Is that a 5 gallon batch?

Ted

Meriadoc
07-27-2009, 03:12 PM
OK... since I've been away *way* too long, an update...

hmm... let's see...

in secondary/aging:

5-gal japanese knotweed traditional mead

mmm... very nice! If i recall correctly, i bottled this two ways -- once, as is, and again, with some more honey in an attempt to get a carbonated mead. it didn't work, so i had a nice semi-sweet from it...

5-gal of schramm's "mambo in your mouth" melomel (which i refer to as my "mambo mel")

sigh... much pain, here. something went wrong with last year's wine filtering -- apparently, there were nasties in the rental equipment that survived our cleaning. the entire group of us (my brother, myself, two other couples) who pool our resources ended up fouling our wines (and my mead). the melomel was one of the victims. I have it sitting in a 5 gal carboy, hoping it'll eventually do something miraculous...

3-gal clover traditional

been in bulk aging this whole time... i'm thinking of bottling it this summer!

1-gal wildflower blueberry mel
1-gal wildflower rainier cherry mel
1.5-gal wildflower traditional
1-gal clover w/ OJ and ginger
1-gal clover w/ black cherry

the black cherry was nice -- it had a really deep, port-like taste to it, and was quite mellow. I may do that one again!

just opened a bottle of the OJ/ginger. Not as happy with that one -- the OJ flavor wasn't easily identifiable as "orange", but did lend a nice flavor; the ginger, instead of being a "fiery" taste, took on a bit of a medicinal flavor. Drinkable, but not one of my favorites at room temp. The ginger comes out more strongly when chilled. Grf. My family, who largely are not big mead fans, weren't big on this one at all.

blueberry went quickly ... very nice, and long enough ago that I don't remember my first impressions!

wildflower trad and wildflower/rainier are still sitting in the 1-gal carboys, waiting to be backsweetened and enjoyed!

sigh... working on an MA really takes time away from brewing/meadmaking pursuits!

Merry

Bryon
07-28-2009, 12:46 AM
Holy Cow. your guys aren't brewers with a drinking problem. Your Drinkers with a brewing problem!

Looks like I've got a lot of catching up to do.